Full boil question weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerslave73

Reaction score
Can some one give me directions on how to do a full boil using these weizenbock ingedients.

-- Briess Bavarian Wheat Dry Extract 8lbs
Weyermann De-Husked Carafa III ® .25lb
-- Caramel Vienne 1 lb
Saaz, Czech Pellets 2 oz @ 60 mins

Wyeast Labs Weihenstephan Weizen

I'll be using the yeast I washed a few days ago
how much water should I start to do the boil in, I think I have a seven gallon pot I better double check. any advice will be helpful. Thanks

It will depend on your system and how vigorous you boil. If you have a 7g pot you will be pushing it to have more than 6g to start. Even with 6g you may want to start a gentle boil and watch it like a hawk to avoid boilover. I usually lose about 1g in 60 minutes of a rolling boil so that would leave you with about 5g. You will lose some in transfer and trub left in the pot. You will likely need to top up your fermentor to 5g with preboiled water before pitching your yeast.

GT

Should I just do a four gallon boil and top up water and forget the full boil until I get a bigger pot? Supposed to have a half barrel on the way to convert to a keggle, but haven't seen it yet.

Do as large a boil as you can comfortably fit in your pot without boiling over. Remember the smaller volume will affect the bitterness extraction from your hops so you will have to compensate by adding more.

GT

An anti-foam additive can help maximize the volume you can comfortably boil in a given kettle. I use Five Star Defoamer-105 from Austin Homebrew. I've used my 2oz bottle in about 40 batches and it's about half gone. I use four drops in a full boil, one drop in a starter, and occasionally three or four drops in the fermenter.

I boil five gallon (6.5 preboil) AG batches in a 7-gallon kettle.:)

Well I started with 5 gallons to steep, then brought to a boil. turned off heat added 8 lbs of wheat DME, brought back to a boil added hops and played with gas dial to keep from boiling over until the foam dropped back into them vigorous boil for a hour. I ended up with 4 gallons had to top up one chilled gallon. SG of 1074 at 68 degrees. Pitched my washed wyeast 3068 from a week ago and am now crossing my fingers.I am fermenting it in a 12 gallon bucket because my last fermentations with my orange hefe's all blew off like crazy for a day. Never brewed in this bucket before always in a carboy. but this has a ton of headspace.

Back