DIY wort aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedIPA

Reaction score
I opted for a cheap way to aerate the wort in my carboy before pitching yeast. Figured I'd share it for those of you that like to brew on the cheap. I bought a 3' piece of aluminum round at Lowes for $4 and cut a 15" length. I drilled a hole at one end. Using a 6-32 3/4" stainless screw, nylon nut and 2 weed-eater blades I ended up with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11443311@N04/?saved=1

It works great and if you have plastic weed-eater blades lying around you should be able to put one of these together for $6.

Nice work. I use an oxygen bottle with a stainless steel aeration stone and it is anything but cheap. I think I am going to get something like this instead so I don't have to keep buying o2. No worries about the airstone though cause I can use it to carbonate. Thanks for the post!

For the lazy:

4517988878_5438d0e093.jpg

I have one of those mixers (store bought) from when my wife wantd to make wine (we had to degass the wine), but it's still cheaper and more convenient to shake the **** out of the fermenter. :D

edit: odd that the use of the mixer in this thread is to get gas into liquid, but the original purpose of the one I bought is to get gas OUT of liquid. I agree that it works, but strange that the same device can be used for exact opposite reasons.

THANKS!!! This was one of my next projects. They want like $35 for one of these at the LHBS. Ridiculous. DIY to the rescue...

Walker said:
I have one of those mixers (store bought) from when my wife wantd to make wine (we had to degass the wine), but it's still cheaper and more convenient to shake the **** out of the fermenter. :D

edit: odd that the use of the mixer in this thread is to get gas into liquid, but the original purpose of the one I bought is to get gas OUT of liquid. I agree that it works, but strange that the same device can be used for exact opposite reasons.

[WARNING]¡Science Impending![/WARNING]

It may seem almost arbitrarily opposite, but it really just adjusts the concentration of gas towards an equilibrium. You're actually driving off gas, AND putting it into solution, and the equilibrium point is when they are both happening at the same rate.

When you degas wine, it's got a high level of carbon dioxide in solution. If it's somehow at a higher concentration than the equilibrium point, then gas will be driven off at a faster rate than it's being dissolved, lowering overall gas (and therefore CO2) content.

I honestly don't know precisely whether wine that's merely stored under atmospheric pressure the whole time (especially if it finished fermenting a while ago — ie, not still generating CO2) can actually exceed that equilibrium point though. But it's not actually that important, because since you're doing it in an open environment, while you're removing CO2 from solution, the "gas" that's being simultaneously dissolved back in is really just air. So what you're removing is about 100% CO2, and what's replacing it has only (roughly) 0.04% CO2.

For example, even if the concentration is only *HALFWAY* to the equilibrium point, then if you manage to agitate it for long enough, the total amount of gas in solution will double, but the amount of actual CO2 will drastically decrease to only about 0.08% (1/1250th) of its original concentration (assuming the air in the immediate environment has the average content of 0.04%).

Now, I oversimplified some things a bit, especially with respect to the actual numbers/math I used, but in the end, there is really nothing "opposite" going on at all, though I do see what you're saying. :mug:

I decided to come up with a cheap aeration wand.
Here's my list of supplies
2 micron stone $13.99 from NB
In line sanitary filter $4.50 from NB
1/4" barb splicer $2.25 from Lowes
1/4" Pex tubing $1.68 5' from Lowes
1/4" clear tubing $2.98 10' from Lowes
Drilled 6.5 stopper $0.80 from LBH
Total $26.20 with enough pipe and tubing to make a second wand.

I had a medical grade 02 cylinder and regulator given to me

Not sure how it work yet but will let you know shortly

(Plastic bags on ends just to keep everything clean)

Aerator.jpg

Back