Any good Thanksgiving Beer Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
Looking to take some home with me for Thanksgiving to pass out to the fam. Anyone have any ideas? Pumpkin ales or otherwise?

I've heard a lot of good things about the Thunderstruck Pumpkin. If you want to have this for Thanksgiving, do it soon. Pumpkin and other spice beers take a little longer to mellow.

I brewed Yur's Thunderstruck recipe, took a hydro reading yesterday and the sample was great - once spices are in and its nicely carbed I think it will be a very tasty brew.

Saw the Thanksgiving Beer request and immediately though of Papa Charlie's "Cock Ale"

COCK ALE
(circa the 1500's) A real recipe from some obscure text found in the Scottish Highlands... Enjoy....
Procedure:
"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flaw him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel.

In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."

You can brew something with cranberries that will give them a taste of new England. I’m planning on doing a pumpkin ale and a cranberry wheat.

For the Thunderstruck, is it saying you pour your hot spice tea mixture directly into the 2ndary? Seems that might not be very sanitary.

Why isn't it sanitary? Heating the spices and water would kill any bacteria and the alcohol level of the beer would prevent most any infection.

Hey for that Thunderstruck pumpkin ale... When it says 1-1/2 cup spice. Do they mean 1&1/2 tsp? or 1/2 to 1 tsp?

During clearing stage, add a spice tea of 1-1/2 tsp "Pumpkin Pie Spice" or Pampered Chef "Cinnamon Plus." Steep spices in 1 cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, cool then add. Consider adding the spice tea a little at a time to achieve the desired flavor profile.

1 & 1/2 teaspoons into 1 cup hot water to steep

Back