Sam adams recipe I want to try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I found this and was going to give it a try. Do you all think this looks right? If so how long should it sit in the secondary? and at what temp? Is there anything different I should try?

Thanks
Size:
5 gallons
Ingredients:

1/2 lb. 60 crystal
4 lb. light malt extract
2 1/2 lb. light DME
2 oz. Tettnanger(bittering)
1/2 oz. Tettnanger(aroma)
1/4 oz. Hallerttau Mittlefruh(flavor)
1/4 oz. Hallerttau Mittlefruh(dry)
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1 1/4 cup xtra light DME(priming)
Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast

Brewing Instructions:
Steep crystal in 1/2 gallon of 150f water for 20 min.Strain the grain and run 1/2 gallon of 150f water over the grains.Add enough water to get 1 1/2 gallons. Bring to a boil and remove from jeat. Add the Xtract,light DME, and bittering hops. Bring water to 2 1/2 gallond and boil for 45 min.Add flavor hops and irish moss. Boil for 13 min. and add the aroma hops.Boil for 2 more min. Remove from stove, cool,place in fermentor,and add enough water to make 5 gallons.Pitch yeast and ferment cool(55f).Rack to secondary and add the dry hops.

Fermentation:
Primary for 10 days@55.
O.G.-1.050
F.G.-1.012
Alcohol-5.0%

Well, it would help to know which Sam Adams recipe that is before we can say if it's a good approximation. That being said, it looks like a decent recipe and I think it's the Boston Lager, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: On second thought, it looks a bit too hoppy to be Boston Lager.

I dunno, that lager's got a bit of hop character to it, so this could be pretty close- this would make a good beer, if not an exact clone.

If you can keep it at or just below 55 it may(probably will) take longer than 10 days to be ready. If you're using lager yeast you should also store it cold(33-35) for at least 3-4 weeks after primary to give the yeast time to clean it up for that crisp lager flavor. If you don't have the ability to lager, use a clean ale yeast like US-05 or Nottingham and you'll have a nice Boston Ale

in this recipe , can i just use 3.3 lbs can of extract, or should I add more DME to the recipe.

1/2 lb. 60 crystal
4 lb. light malt extract
2 1/2 lb. light DME
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Brewing Instructions:
Steep crystal in 1/2 gallon of 150f water for 20 min.Strain the grain and run 1/2 gallon of 150f water over the grains.Add enough water to get 1 1/2 gallons. Bring to a boil and remove from jeat. Add the Xtract,light DME, and bittering hops. Bring water to 2 1/2 gallond and boil for 45 min.Add flavor hops and irish moss. Boil for 13 min. and add the aroma hops.Boil for 2 more min. Remove from stove, cool,place in fermentor,and add enough water to make 5 gallons.Pitch yeast and ferment cool(55f).Rack to secondary and add the dry hops.

Fermentation:
Primary for 10 days@55.
O.G.-1.050
F.G.-1.012
Alcohol-5.0%[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to make this into an Ale by just changing the yeast? I don't have the resources for a lager but looks like a great recipe.

Would I also need to change the hops?

California Common (Steam beer) is an example of an ale which uses Lager yeast. I have fermented it at +/- 65 degrees and it is great.

Is it possible to make this into an Ale by just changing the yeast? I don't have the resources for a lager but looks like a great recipe.

Would I also need to change the hops?

I would use the recipe as is, and substitute a neutral ale yeast. I'd dry nottingham for dry, or so5. For liquid, you could try 1056, or California ale yeast (wlp001), and ferment in the very low 60s if you can. 60-62 degrees with nottingham yeast should give you a nice clean lager-like ale.

No change in the recipe at all would be needed!

Do they make 4lb. cans of extract? Or would I need to buy 2 3.3lb cans and measure? Thats whats confusing to me.

in this recipe , can i just use 3.3 lbs can of extract, or should I add more DME to the recipe.

1/2 lb. 60 crystal
4 lb. light malt extract
2 1/2 lb. light DME
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Brewing Instructions:

Fermentation:
Primary for 10 days@55.
O.G.-1.050
F.G.-1.012
Alcohol-5.0%
[/QUOTE]

Do they make 4lb. cans of extract? Or would I need to buy 2 3.3lb cans and measure? Thats whats confusing to me.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can buy a canned LME that is 4 pounds. Most homebrew stores can sell you 4 pounds, though, if you're buying from an online store, or if your local store can do that. They have it in big vats, and just fill up plastic jugs in however much you need.

If you don't have a way to get 4 pounds, just use 3.3 pounds of LME and then use 3 pounds of the DME instead of 2.5 pounds. That will equal about the same amount of fermentables.

When do you add the 1 1/4 cup extra light DME (priming)? The recipe omits that. I'm new only brewed 3 times so be kind if this is to obvious.

Back