Fridge -> Kegerator Conversion: Faucet Wrench Necessary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
Last night I ordered my Perlick faucets, shanks, etc. so that I can convert a spare fridge into a kegerator. I forgot to order a faucet wench and I want to know how necessary this tool is? Can I still properly install the faucets to the shanks without the wrench? I know the wrench is only like $3 but since I will be ordering it separately I would have to pay extra shipping for a $3 part.

Contact them ASAP, maybe they can still add it.

You can use slip joint pliers, but put a thick terrycloth rag around the locking ring or you will mar it badly. A sliced piece of hose would protect it too. Don't squeeze too hard, just enough to get grip, without it sliding.

If you have access to the equipment and a piece metal or aluminum stock it should be pretty easy to make one

Yeah, just call them and add it. You could use some channel lock pliers to do the same job, but it would scratch up the metal pretty good.

LandoLincoln said:
Yeah, just call them and add it. You could use some channel lock pliers to do the same job, but it would scratch up the metal pretty good.

I was thinking to use the pliers and wrap the faucet with a rag or something to prevent scratching. I am a bit hesitant since I don't want to screw them up on accident.

I was thinking to use the pliers and wrap the faucet with a rag or something to prevent scratching. I am a bit hesitant since I don't want to screw them up on accident.

If I absolutely HAD to tighten my faucets and I couldn't find my faucet wrench, I'd take a piece of wood shim and break it up, and use the wood to take the punishment of the channel lock pliers. That might work.

Idk... I have my faucets tightened by hand and they are fine... Faucet wrench would be fine and all, but honestly don't see the need

Back