Dry hopping ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtmbizzle

Reaction score
I have an IPA that was in the primary for 10 days, I then moved it to the secondary where it has been for 2 weeks. I added 2 oz of dry hops to the empty (sanitized) better bottle, then racked on top of it. For the first week, the better bottle sat in my cellar area at about 60 degrees. The hops totally disbursed, but sat on top of the beer in a hop-sludge layer. They really didn't drop down at all until I cold crashed. Now there is still a thin layer of hop gunk floating on top... Big deal, or ???

I am planning on just racking to the bottling bucket and avoiding the last few millimeters of beer on top.

No big deal, that always happens to me too. Just rack the beer as normal, and the layer on top will get stuck on the sides as the volume drops.

Exactly just rack the beer off between the bottom layer of trub and the hops on the top.

it's fine, they don't always drop all the way. If you're careful with racking you'll be fine. If not, you just get some hops in your beer which isn't the end of the world

jperry said:
?.. Just rack the beer as normal, and the layer on top will get stuck on the sides as the volume drops.

Yup, this is exactly what happened!

Bottling went perfect. Thnx for the comments everyone!

Back