Can you serve non carbonated water from a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan00101101

Reaction score
Is is possible to use c02 to dispense regular non carbonated water from a keg that is at room temperature? (I live on a farm and the water is not good for drinking.) I have a few corny kegs that are spares and was pondering the idea of hooking one up to the water dispenser that is on the fridge this would also get the ice maker working on it as well. The water in the keg would be room temp (69F to 70F in my house) then would be cooled in the fridge. Would this be possible and what psi would the co2 need to be at so as to be enough to push the water into the fridge without carbonating it.

Thanks
-Ryan

I could be wrong, but I think as long as you have CO2 pressure on the liquid, it WILL carbonate to that level. That could be a very low level if you have short lines/keg is higher up/etc, but it can't be avoided as far as I'm aware.

You could turn off the gas and vent the keg after every use, and turn it back on before dispensing again though, which should avoid the issue..

If the water is at room temperature, and you keep the dispensing line short and only apply as much pressure as you need to get water flowing (2-3 psi), there will be almost no carbonation. Pressurizing with nitrogen, argon, or air would obviously eliminate the issue.

You could maybe use an aquarium pump, though I'm not sure how those would do if you dead end the outlet.

Something like this:
http://www.petco.com/product/116152...x?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_AirPumpsAccessories

Is rated for 8 feet of water, which is 3.5 psi. That might be enough if you elevate the keg and use 1/4" ID or bigger line between the keg and fridge. I'm not sure what the pressure drop would be inside your icemaker/water dispenser, or if the fridge has a minimum pressure it needs.

Air sounds like the way to go. I could probably get a simple bicycle pump that comes apart and sanitize it and use the keg lube on the o rings so it is food safe. Then pump it to 50 psi, that is what my water pressure is set at on my pressure tank. And save the co2 for the beer.

But then you'd have to be pumping it up constantly.

It obviously wouldn't be 50 psi, but would gravity feeding provide enough pressure? What if you just got a big carboy full of water and put it on top of the fridge?

Additionally you can put a cobra tap on the liquid out, and either place a gas in QD without a hose on it or have the pressure relief valve set to open and as long as the cobra tap is below the level of the keg/liquid it should form its own siphon and work fine sans CO2

A small water pump with a pressure switch would do the trick...

Keg one has fresh water, vent opened. The pump pumps the water from keg 1 (from the out post) to the IN post of keg 2. Keg 2 is air tight (like a normal well water tank), so when the pump starts, it will create pressure inside keg 2 as it fills it. Drain from keg 2 normally, from the out post.

The only tricky part is getting a pressure switch in the mix.

This is essentially how a well water pressure tank works. As the pump fills the tank, pressure is created.

MC

I've been doing it for years for camping, and all last summer I was cooking for a backwoods camp of maintenance dudes where I packed the cooking water in using half dozen cornies.
Took gas in compression ball lock to 1/4" copper stub to compression>FIP and put on portable air tank fitting from Autozone. Pumped them up when filling or used on-board air from my jeep. Cobra tap didn't like the 90lbs I was putting in there, but it was fine with Perlick in tower I clamped to table.

Before I got a trailer, used same setup for shower for SWMBO using one of those lowflow heads with the toggle valve. Fill it half boiling water from stove, top with cold water until comfortable.......can squeeze two showers from each fill - as long as nobody is a hog.

MrNatural"I've been doing it for years for camping, and all last summer I was cooking for a backwoods camp of maintenance dudes where I packed the cooking water in using half dozen cornies.Took gas in compression ball lock to 1/4" copper stub to compression>FIP and put on portable air tank fitting from Autozone. Pumped them up when filling or used on-board air from my jeep. Cobra tap didn't like the 90lbs I was putting in there, but it was fine with Perlick in tower I clamped to table.Before I got a trailer, used same setup for shower for SWMBO using one of those lowflow heads with the toggle valve. Fill it half boiling water from stove, top with cold water until comfortable.......can squeeze two showers from each fill - as long as nobody is a hog."

That sounds like a good idea. I could easily hook up my air compressor to the corny. I have all kinds of fittings also I have a small air compressor with a regulator on it. The only thing I was concerned about is how clean is the air going through that pump. Maybe it isnt a that big of a deal if I had a long hose and sanitized it also put in an inline filter maybe? I dont think gravity feeding would work because the waterline in that fridge goes from the bottom of the fridge to almost the top.

(The pressure tank that I have in the basement is set to 50 psi and it kicks in at about 42psi. That is why I was thinking I could set it to 50psi it would be the same as the water pressure in my pipes.)

That sounds like a good idea. I could easily hook up my air compressor to the corny. I have all kinds of fittings also I have a small air compressor with a regulator on it. The only thing I was concerned about is how clean is the air going through that pump. Maybe it isnt a that big of a deal if I had a long hose and sanitized it also put in an inline filter maybe? I dont think gravity feeding would work because the waterline in that fridge goes from the bottom of the fridge to almost the top.

(The pressure tank that I have in the basement is set to 50 psi and it kicks in at about 42psi. That is why I was thinking I could set it to 50psi it would be the same as the water pressure in my pipes.)

Never had any quality issues with standard air compressor making couple of gallons of coffee every morning, but I guess you could put one of those filters/separators on the output.

I don't have the science skills to explain the volume/pressure relationship, but in my experience, if you have the keg anywhere near full, you need 90lbs or it runs out of steam before all the water is dispensed. All about head space for the air. More air (volume)-less pressure needed, but you have less water. Water was harder to get than air, so I filled them pretty full.

I took this thingy from Kragen and gas connector to TruValue and got flare adapter to go between. Makes solid and rigid chingadera to pump it up. Get it here too:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CDI-CONTROL-DEVICES-Brass-Air-Tank-Filler-1X361?

Brass-Air-Tank-Filler-Valve-1X361_AS01.JPG

Back