High FG on second batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keynes

Reaction score
Hey,
Have my second ever batch in primary at the moment (a Celtic Red Ale). It is roughly 2 weeks since I pitched. The OG was 1.055 and it is currently sitting at 1.016 (which is consistent with a reading 3-4 days ago). I used Safale US-04 dry yeast. I have heard this yeast tends to have higher FG's, but I am a little concerned my fermentation may have stuck due to low temperatures (of the beer) over the last week (roughly 62.5-63 f). I will wait another 1 or 2 weeks before bottling minimum, but I am wondering if I should increase temps to try and tease out a little more fermentation.

Thanks

Yep. Letting the temps. creep up to about 70 will be fine. It may, or may not, knock off a few more gravity points and it certainly won't do your brew any harm or facilitate any off flavours/smells. Give the fermenter a gentle swirl once the temps are up to agitate the yeast back into suspension.

Well, if the yeast does 70% to 75% attenuation then you're looking at an estimated OG of 1.0165 to 1.0135, respectively. And the yeast will ferment at temps of 59 F to 75 F so I'd say that you're all finished up.
It can't hurt for you to follow Ogri's advice to see if you can get it down a point or three, but I don't think you're experiencing stuck fermentation.

Safale US-04 Sheet: http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_S-04_HB.pdf

You apparent attenuation is 71%. That's on the low end for the yeast but it is reasonable. The warming and aggitation may get you a few more percentage points, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Latest posts

Back