Adding Candi sugar to and extract (festabrew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
My recipe (Belgian dubbel) ask that I adds candi sugar to my extract. I bought about 500g of dark brown sugar (10$)

So how do I use it? How much, how, and when?

I was thinking of about 500g, by boiling/dissolving it with 1/2 cup of water and cooling it, and finally adding it to the extract just before adding the yeast.

What do you think?

-

beauvafr said:
My recipe (Belgian dubbel) ask that I adds candi sugar to my extract. I bought about 500g of dark brown sugar (10$)

So how do I use it? How much, how, and when?

I was thinking of about 500g, by boiling/dissolving it with 1/2 cup of water and cooling it, and finally adding it to the extract just before adding the yeast.

What do you think?

-

You should just add it to the boil as all you need is it for it to dissolve into the wort.

If you add it after then you need to make a simply syrup and pour it into the fermenting beer.

I think that since you would add a boiled sugar solution to condition your beer at bottling, you could do the same at yeast adding time. Just make sure the solution has cooled. Also, add the solution to the fermenter before pouring in the wort to ensure a good mix, although the yeasties would probably do a good job of mixing as they scavenge sugars.

Note to previous poster: Festa Brew is a wort. There is no boiling.

Thanks for recommendation.

After posting here I found this interesting post a on blog. It suggest to let it ferment for 48 hours before adding the candi sugar. I'll have to wait until monday to dump mine on monday. So that's gonna make 72 hours between yeast adding and sugar addition. I think it's fine tough.

Also, I am gonna boil the 500g of sugar into 2 cup of water first.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for recommendation.

After posting here I found this interesting post a on blog. It suggest to let it ferment for 48 hours before adding the candi sugar. I'll have to wait until monday to dump mine on monday. So that's gonna make 72 hours between yeast adding and sugar addition. I think it's fine tough.

Also, I am gonna boil the 500g of sugar into 2 cup of water first.

I'll keep you posted!

slacker1 said:
I think that since you would add a boiled sugar solution to condition your beer at bottling, you could do the same at yeast adding time. Just make sure the solution has cooled. Also, add the solution to the fermenter before pouring in the wort to ensure a good mix, although the yeasties would probably do a good job of mixing as they scavenge sugars.

Note to previous poster: Festa Brew is a wort. There is no boiling.

Hey thanks, had no idea, learn something new every day! Cheers!

You can do your own candi sugar at home. Is not hard, and it will save you a lot of money.

I recommend boiling the sugar up with some water and adding it a couple days after fermentation starts. I do this frequently with my belgians.

I still have not added the sugar.. is 500g (1 lb) a little bit too much for 23 liters (6 gallons)?

Back