Stout seems to be stuck in fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I have a stout 2 weeks now in the primary that hasn't hit it's FG. I started with 1.053 on 9/20/07 and pitched a nice starter of WLP023 which started crazy action within 2 hours. For 4 days I had crazy fermentation on the bubbler, then nothing. 5 days ago, I decided to give it a gentile stir to see if I could kick in the fermentation again, but I got no action on the bubbler judging by the water levels inside. I totally forgot to take a hydrometer reading then... dummy me.

So anyhow, I checked today, and I am at 1.017, and given the attenuation % of the yeast my FG should hit .010-.013.

I have a few options...

1. Do I re-pitch a yeast and leave in the primary?
2. Do I rack to secondary and pitch a new starter?
3. Leave in the primary and do nothing?
4. Rack to secondary and do nothing?

Knowledgeable assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks!
-J

it depends....
What was your grain bill? I'm betting that you had a decent amount of non fermentables. Maybe some Crystal/black/chocolate or you added some oats who knows that fg sounds not bad. For me anyway a stout has some mouth feel to it and maybe a little sweetness. Id say transfer it and then bottle condition it and drink it!

I would agree, it sounds like you may be fermented out. I say let it sit a couple more days and check the gravity each day, if its not moving, then it should be done. Move onto next step.:mug:

Here is the recipe. Pretty standard, soak grains 20 min, add DME and boil. This is a 5 gal batch.

1/2lb flaked oats (toasted)
1/2lb English Crystal malt
1/2lb English Chocolate malt
3oz roasted barley
5.75lb light DME
2oz Kent Goldings
1tsp irish moss

So, what do you think?

Thanks for your help.
-J

I'd say the beer is done. Check it again in a couple of days. If no change, rack to secondary or bottle it. The yeast attenuation percentages are just a guide - you may not get complete attenuation every time.

What brand of DME did you use? Some brands (Laaglander in particular) are not as fermentable as others like Munton's or Briess.

Latest posts

Back