First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFH1

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of brew, I was curious to how long I should let it ferment for. It is an imperial blond ale. I started fermentation on Sunday, it's Thursday now and on day four. It stopped bubbling, but I'm nervous to open the lid, any advise?

I have a batch of Hef that's been in primary for three weeks and I haven't opened the lid. Sunday it's going into secondary on a huckleberry purée.

Relax and let it sit. Patience is a virtue.

If you have a hydrometer, it is done fermenting when you get 3 readings on separate days that are the same. If you don't have a hydrometer, 3 weeks is a good safe bet to make sure that fermentation is complete and the yeast have had a chance to clean up any nasties they might have made during fermentation. A bubbling airlock is not an accurate gauge of the level of your fermentation, just an indicator of the gas escaping through the airlock.

I'm doing my first brew also. I would let it sit for about 3 weeks. It should be fine. My airlock was bubbling for about the first 2 days and now is silent, but it is still fermenting.

Kevin

I have a batch of Hef that's been in primary for three weeks and I haven't opened the lid. Sunday it's going into secondary on a huckleberry purée.

Relax and let it sit. Patience is a virtue.

I used to live in Montana and pick huckleberries out in the mountains... That sounds like one helluva brew and a damn fine use for them! Now I gotta get my hands on some out here in the desert so I can try that.

OClairBrew said:
I used to live in Montana and pick huckleberries out in the mountains... That sounds like one helluva brew and a damn fine use for them! Now I gotta get my hands on some out here in the desert so I can try that.

I'm in Seattle and every year around Labor Day I head up to Stampede Pass in the Cascades and spend a day picking huckleberries. I always pick more than I know what to do with so I figured what better to do with them than make beer.

Thanks for all your help, it's the first batch so I need all the help I can get. I'll post on how it turns out!

Back