Nothing that can kill you can grow in your beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
I've heard or read words to that effect a number of times, relating to post fermentation and infections in bottles etc. People say stuff like "it might taste bad, but it wouldn't do you any harm if you did drink it".

An experience I had over the weekend got me thinking about this.

I went to bed Saturday night and woke up at 2am. Without going into details, basically "it" came out of both ends violently on and off until about 8am. Then I just felt like **** all day Sunday and slowly got back to normal over the next few days.

4 factors in the day:

1) I worked in the garden and handled soil/dirt etc
b) I have 2 dogs who do what dogs do, eat what dogs eat, lick what dogs lick and then jump on me, try to lick my face etc etc etc
iii) I had pizza from a take-out
#) I had 1 bottle of homebrew (a batch that I have previously had 7-10 bottles of

Anyone else had similar experiences at all?

Was it the hombrew- a rogue bottle?

sometimes the yeast in homebrew can cause stomach issues until your body gets used to it, i.e. new bacteria growing in your gut. if you're new to drinking yeasty beer, that may be it. but since you're in the UK and undoubtedly get some nice cask conditioned ales, your belly's quite familiar with brewers yeast. my guess would be you either caught a li'l bug or the pizza is the culprit. i know things like greasy, cheesy food mixed with a few yeasty home-brews causes my gut to act much like an active fermenter!

I don't think it was the beer. I think you got dog **** on your hands and transferred it to your pizza. If it wasn't the dog****, it was something else. Not the beer in my opinion since you already had it 7-10 times.

Have another beer, see if the same thing happens.

I'm with you guys on your responses. I know that each bottle could be different- it might have not been sanitised properly or whatever, but from that bactch I'd already had a few before and had 5 gallons of my first batch pretty much all to myself.

If it wasn't the pizza it was something I picked up in the garden or from the dogs and obviously cross contaminated something.

It certainly wasn't pretty! :(

sometimes the yeast in homebrew can cause stomach issues until your body gets used to it, i.e. new bacteria growing in your gut. if you're new to drinking yeasty beer, that may be it. but since you're in the UK and undoubtedly get some nice cask conditioned ales, your belly's quite familiar with brewers yeast. my guess would be you either caught a li'l bug or the pizza is the culprit. i know things like greasy, cheesy food mixed with a few yeasty home-brews causes my gut to act much like an active fermenter!

even so, this doesn't cause "it" to come out of both end violently for 8 hours.

stomach bug and/or food poisoning is the culprit.

Have another beer, see if the same thing happens.

This is the only thing! I haven't had one for a few days because I've still felt pretty bad, but I know that the thought of how it came out might make the first gulp pretty hard to swallow as I don't want a repeat of Saturday night.

As for the pizza- it made me feel sick just thinking about the 2 slices sitting in the fridge and I struggled just picking it up to throw it in the trash...

even so, this doesn't cause "it" to come out of both end violently for 8 hours.

stomach bug and/or food poisoning is the culprit.

Indeed! In this case "it" was not of the gaseous family of what can come out of a human body. Neither was it solid, or plasma. So that only leaves one matter state...

Yep, probably food poisoning...it'll likely be tough to drink the same beer again after having it come back up so violently, but I doubt that was the cause.

Good luck! :mug:

I got food poisoning from Red Robin one time... almost ruined all hamburgers for me. I can still eat a burger... but I can't step foot back into one of those restaraunts.

Gary

Got a friendly poker game with some buddies tonight- I'll be trying to drink the beer in question.

I just hope pizza isn't on the menu!

Listen to me very carefully. Could it be food? SURE! I have had it from food before not very fun. COuld it be the dogs? I doubt it! Could it be from garden dirt? HELL YES! (green manure maybe?) COuld it be from homebrew YOU BET! If anyone thinks for one minute beer cant get jacked up brother you gotta another comming! My grandfather drank a "bad beer" once and he was sitting in dark for days ill! Listen when it doubt throw it out! Why risk it? If its fuzz then no buzz. If it has hair dont you dare! Hope ya get well soon!

Listen to me very carefully. Could it be food? SURE! I have had it from food before not very fun. COuld it be the dogs? I doubt it! Could it be from garden dirt? HELL YES! (green manure maybe?) COuld it be from homebrew YOU BET! If anyone thinks for one minute beer cant get jacked up brother you gotta another comming! My grandfather drank a "bad beer" once and he was sitting in dark for days ill! Listen when it doubt throw it out! Why risk it? If its fuzz then no buzz. If it has hair dont you dare! Hope ya get well soon!

Is this your professional medical opinion?

Yeah,the mods that form a sort of pellicle on top of the beer in primary can be unpleasant,too say the least. Goots catch those before bottling. Not to mention the bottles being clean & sanitized. The racking/bottling tubing as well. I leave no stone unturned.

I'd blame the pizza. Every case of an upset stomach I've ever had followed eating out at some restaurant/take out...I've never got sick from my own cooking and unless the beer tasted really bad it is very doubtful it was the cause.

COuld it be from homebrew YOU BET! If anyone thinks for one minute beer cant get jacked up brother you gotta another comming! My grandfather drank a "bad beer" once and he was sitting in dark for days ill! Listen when it doubt throw it out! Why risk it? If its fuzz then no buzz. If it has hair dont you dare!

I hope you're being ironic or something.

What are yall talking about? You would drink beer with fuzz on it? I was talking mold here. I dont eat bread that is green either call me crazy!

Jayhem said:
I'd blame the pizza. Every case of an upset stomach I've ever had followed eating out at some restaurant/take out...I've never got sick from my own cooking and unless the beer tasted really bad it is very doubtful it was the cause.

Tasted GREAT when I was drinking it... Not so much in rewind at 2am!

What are yall talking about? You would drink beer with fuzz on it? I was talking mold here. I dont eat bread that is green either call me crazy!

Ya, they're called sour beers, ie Lambics and the like. They look like this:

26515_563869863570_45900919_32755519_2982644_n.jpg

And are often times quite delicious.

Im sorry but i couldnt drink something that looked like that. I know what your thinking how you think it looks at the micro brew? Yeah i know i try not to think about it. Is it really supposed to look like that? and why?

Im sorry but i couldnt drink something that looked like that. I know what your thinking how you think it looks at the micro brew? Yeah i know i try not to think about it. Is it really supposed to look like that? and why?

I believe that particular beer is supposed to look like that. It uses bacteria (such as Lactobacillus) that looks really nasty, but results in a desired flavor.

Takeout pizza in the UK? Honestly didn't think you guys had that! Super jealous of the million and a half take out Curry places you guys have though!!!

The pizza guys let their dogs lick them and then they made your pizza. You let your dogs lick you after eating dog balls and shyte pizza, and you're blaming homebrew?

Could have been any number of the things you mentioned, or a combination of all of them. Consult your doctor about it. I say that, because I sometimes show threads to my friends with very bad and dangerous info. I'm just saying:)

Noro virus is running rampant in the lower east of the US. Same symptoms along with extremely rapid onset. I know you are across the pond, but something like noro spreads so quickly among people it wouldn't surprise me if it caught a flight with a business traveler and started going round the uk.

Noro virus is running rampant in the lower east of the US. Same symptoms along with extremely rapid onset. I know you are across the pond, but something like noro spreads so quickly among people it wouldn't surprise me if it caught a flight with a business traveler and started going round the uk.

Not only that, people continue to shed norovirus long after they have recovered from the acute symptoms of it. My son picked it up from daycare and managed to infect another 7-8 people long after he stopped having symptoms.

NOTHING PATHOGENIC CAN GROW IN BEER!!!

You can't get sick from beer PERIOD, old, new, or ancient...It doesn't matter. Nothing that can live in fermented beverages can harm you period....No food poisoning or anything.

The whole history of beer, wine, mead and cider/Fermentation is general is that nothing pathogenic can exist in them They were consumed in places where the water could kill you, or make you sick.

Even slightly fermented beverages were consumed, even by children. Hard ciders were drunk like we drink bottled water.

Why do you think the Catholic Church chose wine as the basis of their sacrament? Because wine was more important to the culture of the desert where Christianity came from than water. Water safe, drinkable water was rare. So wine was the safer, common beverage of the day.

We've covered everything even with some citations in this thread. Dangers of Homebrewing

And some more info here as well.

It covers all the bugaboos that new brewers wanna fear, mycotoxins, e-coli, zombies.... :rolleyes:

I believe that particular beer is supposed to look like that. It uses bacteria (such as Lactobacillus) that looks really nasty, but results in a desired flavor.

BINGO!

mtk, Broaden you beer palette. Sour beer is very tasty, and in my opinion very approachable. My non-craft beer drinking gf enjoyed Rodenbach very much, a sour beer from Belgium.

Yeast look nasty too, don't fear the fuzz.

really, no offense man, but are you scared of everything you haven't seen before? it really seems that you have very little knowledge of the things you tend to post here on HBT. do you know what a soured beer is? many folks intentionally pitch bacteria and wild yeast that causes all sorts of fuzzies to grow on the beer. and the beer won't make you sick. in fact, it's quite enjoyable.

NOTHING PATHOGENIC CAN GROW IN BEER!!!

You can't get sick from beer PERIOD, old, new, or ancient...It doesn't matter. Nothing that can live in fermented beverages can harm you period....No food poisoning or anything.

The whole history of beer, wine, mead and cider/Fermentation is general is that nothing pathogenic can exist in them They were consumed in places where the water could kill you, or make you sick.

Even slightly fermented beverages were consumed, even by children. Hard ciders were drunk like we drink bottled water.

Why do you think the Catholic Church chose wine as the basis of their sacrament? Because wine was more important to the culture of the desert where Christianity came from than water. Water safe, drinkable water was rare. So wine was the safer, common beverage of the day.

We've covered everything even with some citations in this thread. Dangers of Homebrewing

And some more info here as well.

It covers all the bugaboos that new brewers wanna fear, mycotoxins, e-coli, zombies.... :rolleyes:

'nuff said. :mug: didn't you recently drink some fairly old bottles of beer you came across and survive, Revvy? i also think i remember seeing a thread with a guy talking about drinking a beer that was over 100 years old. i think if beer could make you sick (other than if you drink way too much), one of you two guys would've mentioned that when talking about drinking old beers.

OP, it was either a coincidental stomach bug you caught, or the pizza got ya sick. or maybe even the dags or gardening, but that's unlikely too, i do a lot of garden/yard work and i horse around with my dag all the time and have never gotten sick from it. my guess, at this time of year, doing some work out in the chill, damp weather brought ya down and a stomach virus took hold. seems the obvious answer here.
that or the next trend in flu epidemics is a beer borne ultraretronanozombie virus from Saturn, bound to end all humanity. til next year. :ban::mug::ban:

It was totally out of the blue. I haven't taken a sick day from work since 2005 and that wasn't cos I was sick- I hated my super and couldn't be fekked that day. If I'm honest I can't remember the last time I was genuinely sick so I couldn't work. If saturday night had been Sunday night no way I coulda dragged myself in to work. I don't get sick. This was serious. I've been hearing people round here saying that "oh my friend had that a week ago" and stuff. By Monday I was fine, just exhausted from not eating/ dehydration.

I've been playing poker tonight and sunk 2 pints of my brew... Tum seems pretty satisfied- I'll keep you posted. Looking forward to reading the posts Revvy linked to.

Maybe the cause was "none of the above"

Bread that has mold on it might taste nasty... but it won't hurt you. I take it that you are unaware that bread mold = penicillin in many cases? Many cheeses are molded intentionally before you ever buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back