Cheap Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheePope

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've only been brewing for a short time now, but I'd like to start kegging my homebrew before too long! Anybody know of a cheap and easy way to get that ball rolling?

Thanks!

Pinlock kegs are currently the cheapest.

Picnic taps are very cheap.

A paintball tank with a single gauge regulator and adapter is cheaper than a 5lb CO2 tank.

Throw it all in a craigslist cheapie fridge.

:mug:

How do you think a chest freezer would work out if I turned the temp up above 32 degrees?

How do you think a chest freezer would work out if I turned the temp up above 32 degrees?

you won't get it above 32F without a temp controller.

one could rig a heavy duty timer so it doesn't run the thing very often but that's going to be harder on the compressor than running it at a stable serving temp range.

How cheap is cheap?
Your basic kegging supplies will run you approx $150 for a keg, small tank, regulator, hoses connections etc. Also, I've found that it's cheaper overall to get a large tank vs a small tank. For example, if a 20 oz paintball tank runs you 20 bucks, fine, but you probably don't want to get a lot of them, plus you need an adapter for $15. It's cheap.. however if you get a 5 pound reconditioned tank, you'll pay $55 which is under what you'd pay for 4 20 oz tanks ($80+15). A 10 pound reconditioned tank will only cost $75 though, vs the $110 for 2 5 pounders, or the $160+15 for 8@20oz tanks and so on. Plus, a reconditioned 20 pound tank may go for $100, so just compare that to 16-20oz tanks at $335.
If you get a paintball tank free from a friend or relative who doesn't play paintball any more, or you play paintball then that'd be different.

You would want to keep your keg in the fridge to be the least expensive, or even in a cellar to be even less expensive, though not as cold. If you want to use a chest freezer, you *have* to get a temperature control device to "turn it up above 32" since freezers generally don't have that option. $60-$85 from dial to digital.
Not so bad if you already have a chest freezer to use though, otherwise add that into the cost.

Definately go with picnic taps those really have no price comparision and you can even use just one for a while and then move up to a full set of full taps one by one. (Example, I had planned on my freezer w/temp control, then eventually adding a collar but still using one single picnic tap and switch it between kegs whenever I needed a different beer. Then I planned on getting one faucet at a time, so I'd drill one hole, use the faucet, and later on get a second faucet and so on. That kinda went out the window when I got 4 of them on sale.... but it helps not to have all the cost at once.)

Craigslis/HBT classifieds are your friend. It may be a little slower to piece things together but it'll be much cheaper. You may even get lucky and find a full setup for a good price.

Good link. In that case, if you want to use the coarse manual adjustment method, you'll save $60-80 bucks.
Since I'm pretty bad with those sorts of things so I'd still go with the external thermostat, but that's me. It's not like you can't adjust it back to be a regular freezer when you upgrade anyways.

I just got my kegging setup a couple weeks ago. Check the classifieds on the forums.

Dual gauge regulator
5 lb CO2 tank
corny keg(pin lock)
corny connectors
gas line/air line

All for 180.

Just do some research online and check the classifieds and post that you are looking for specific items.

Buy a CO2 setup with pinlock keg, kegconnection has good prices and stands behind their product.

Its winter stick it in your un-heated garage. Pickup cheap or preferably free fridge for spring. Alternatively only brew stouts and other beers you can serve warm.

It's going to cost $100+ to get into a single un-refridgerated keg.

Some of my CL finds include:
20# Co2 tank with dual regulator - $20
3 way air splitter - $10
Complete draft tower - $20
8 ball lock Kegs - $60

The deals are out there, ya just gotta be patient and keep looking. Use something like tempest search to search surrounding areas too.

[\quote\]

The deals are out there, ya just gotta be patient and keep looking. Use something like tempest search to search surrounding areas too.[/QUOTE]

+1 search it up
I found a 20 lb tank 3/4 full regulator and 1:6 keg for $70
2 10 gal Gatorade coolers (20$ each)
Full size fridge 1(50$)1(20$)
2 kegs propane burner 2 glass carboys 200 caps 5 gal cooler -80$
As well as some new brewing friends out of it....

I got my stuff from keg connection.com cheap and good looking but had problem with my keg not cleaned as advertised from them had crusty stuff in kegs and also not new seals like advertised as well old seals on them falling apart just a little warning

Odd, I didn't see that any kegs were advertised as cleaned. I know that keg connection usually throws in new seals in a bag though, because the old seals are on. Most places that I've bought from also leave their kegs as was. Usually having had old pepsi sitting around in it down at the very bottom.

KevinM said:
Odd, I didn't see that any kegs were advertised as cleaned. I know that keg connection usually throws in new seals in a bag though, because the old seals are on. Most places that I've bought from also leave their kegs as was. Usually having had old pepsi sitting around in it down at the very bottom.

Yea bought mine early december was described as cleaned with a 3 step process

Back