Things I learned going from Home to Nanobrewer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great read Gordie. This should end the debate on if its possible for a homebrewer to go commercial thanks

Springer......you've got the only picture under your name that makes me want to slip into the bathroom for about ten minutes!! LOL!! It always gets at least a 30 second stare from me.

Any idea on what additional license or permits one would need if they are operating as a winery? I know some folks that are opening a small winery and want to carry some beer, and they're thinking of some craft beer, but also some BMC to appease the local market base. I'm pushing them to go with some draft options to save money and the going rate for a beer in the area is about $3.50 tops.
So if they were to bring in draft nano-brewed beer, would they need additional licenses? Are wineries basically the same as a micro-brewery?

I think if anything a nanobrewery is more hassle. You're doing pretty much all of the work but make less product, meaning you need to brew more.

Yep, somebody'd have to be pretty stupid to open a nanobrewery.

Awesome that this thread is almost a year old and still part of the conversation. Hophead75 - yeah, wineries are different and you would need a separate license IF the authority to server is under their winegrowers license, which is basically a tasting room scenario where you can't serve anything but what you make. If they're just running a bar, they wouldn't need another license.

Stay thirsty my friends.

It shouldn't be too surprising that the thread's still active Gordie, it's top notch information. Heck, you've got me convinced to look into the feasibility of copying your success in Wisconsin.

I am just in college and know just about nothing relative to most of the people on here. I have only done a couple AG after about a year of partial mash and extract. However, I think I am addicted to brewing. I found this thread to be very interesting and inspiring. One question I kept asking is how/why you don't need a Health Department clearance Gordie?

Hey crlova2. Its because production of the beer is covered by my license from the ABC. If I was operating a taphouse or tasting room, I might have to get Health Department approval, but it depends on the local office. Typically, around here anyway, if I'm not serving food I'd be able to run a tasting room without a health permit.

What would happen in mendocino county on Timber land rated property? I'm kind of curious if maybe if an attatched garage was on Timber land and you signed your life away on the revocation of business licensing like I did for my retail company that if a neighbor gets bothered by traffic they would shut'er down. You think that would fly with planning and building? I'm tempted to ask out of curiosity. My planner is pretty open... we were working on building it and I came in to talk to them about my 600A panel and he said, and I quote... "What are you trying to do today, get a strip club, pot dispensary approved today?" Pretty funny guy. Plus we are both ex-texans... which is always like a silent brotherhood it seems. I of course smiled and said... maybe? I'm young and single... I had to at least think about it right?

If you'd be willing to show a new hand how to run a brew I'd be tickled pink.

Interesting thread. Myself, I find brewing to be a relaxing, anti-work endeavor - I think I would loose interest quick if I HAD to hit goals, quantities, etc etc, but I always admire folks who have a passion about something and make it work.

Props to you Gordie, you done good.

What would happen in mendocino county on Timber land rated property? I'm kind of curious if maybe if an attatched garage was on Timber land and you signed your life away on the revocation of business licensing like I did for my retail company that if a neighbor gets bothered by traffic they would shut'er down. You think that would fly with planning and building? I'm tempted to ask out of curiosity. My planner is pretty open... we were working on building it and I came in to talk to them about my 600A panel and he said, and I quote... "What are you trying to do today, get a strip club, pot dispensary approved today?" Pretty funny guy. Plus we are both ex-texans... which is always like a silent brotherhood it seems. I of course smiled and said... maybe? I'm young and single... I had to at least think about it right?

If you'd be willing to show a new hand how to run a brew I'd be tickled pink.

In order to get licensed federally the brewery structure has to be stand alone, and not attached to or part of a residence, so an attached garage will not work. Make the garage a free standing structure and draw up plans for where each piece of equipment goes and you're in business (at least on the federal level).

(well, it was that or World of Warcraft as a hobby, and you can't drink World of Warcraft)Gordie

This is a Great write up of advice, I was cracking up, because I quit my hobby of playing WOW as soon as I started brewing. I don't miss that game for 1 second, plus I can brew a batch of beer every month for what I was paying Blizzard to play.

Glad to see you followed through with your new hobby.

Hi. Haven't been here in a while, but figured I'd stop in. The brewery is turing 3 years old in July so I thought I'd take a look at this thread again. Jtakacs - you'll have to come to Healdsburg or go to Oakland. I'm at Healdsburg Bar & Grill, Affronti or Beer Revolution (unless they've run out...).

Cheers! And thanks to everyone who has been posting!

Kevin

I read this whole thread but I forgot if you've already mentioned this.

Gordie, what size batches are you brewing?

You mentioned starting out with a minimum 1bbl system. Do most people design their own 1bbl systems or buy them?

I too am tired of my current career and daydream daily about opening a nano or otherwise. Thanks so much for all the w.o.w. and advice!

The wife was happy when I quit WOW, but now I deal with "what do you need more grain for" bi-weekly. I'l love to find out what it would take to start up in Ontario.

You are my hero!!!!

Although I thought I was in enough trouble as I put together my list from the DIY threads (HERMS, Keezer, Conical, Ferm chamber)... Now I have to add Nanobrewery to the list of dreams! ( I should probably not mention this one to SWMBO yet)

Thanks for the info and inspiration! :rockin:

That was a great read Gordie.

I have to ask, is the nanobrewery enough to sustain or is it something you have to do supplementary to your day job?

I would imagine it's the latter but once you get popular enough you can quit your job and make beer all damn day long. *sigh* One day....

Great info, Ive been thinking of starting one myself and have the backing of my wife, just dont have the capital. Im going to start looking into a small business loan through the feds. Hell might as well see if I cant get a return on all the tax's I pay.

Hey everyone. Just to answer a few questions...

Hey dallasdb. I brew generally 35 gallons a batch (6 five gallon kegs and some left over for the house, samples, etc.).

Hi funkapottomous. Generally no - you're not likely to replace your day job unless you're working crazy hours and have no need for things like medical insurance and stuff. I generally brew on weekends and maintain the brewery after my daughter goes to sleep during the week.

Kevin,
How many bbl's are you producing a year and how often are you brewing to achieve that? You are my hero!!:mug:

Hey gordie, very interesting read, inspiring even. Im hoping you could help me figure something out, i want to build a brewery similar in size to yours. I picked up a 120 gallon stainless water tank. Im thinking about cutting it up to build a kettle and MLT, ideally id like to get 53 gallons of finished beer out of it. So im thinking 70-75 g for the BK and 45-50 for the MLT. I may also just leave it at 120 gallons and find another vessle for the MLT so i can eventually scale even higher and for the time being have a huge kettle so i dont have to worry about boil overs. So basicly im wondering how you like your kettle size and if you have any advice in that area. Thanks

just had one kevin's beers the other day at sprengers tap room... iirc correctly it was an ipa, but it was just a gorgeous dark color and over the top malt complexity... quickly became one of my faves - i'll be back there to drain down that keg.

Back