Red IPA recipe - criticisms encouraged.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 207.66 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.062 (1.056 - 1.075)
|=============#==================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
|===================#============|
Color: 17.31 (6.0 - 15.0)
|============================#===|
Alcohol: 6.14% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|=============#==================|
Bitterness: 65.9 (40.0 - 70.0)
|=====================#==========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
11 lb Maris Otter
.5 lb American Victory
.8 lb Caramel Malt 40L
.5 lb Caramel Malt 120L
.8 lb Light Munich Malt
.15 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
.5 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.5 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
0.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
0.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
2.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.0 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

Mash at 152 for 60 min
Ferment at 68 for 28 days

So far I am pretty good at following recipes, decent at taking suggestions for clones from brewers and taking a crack at it and untested at coming up with my own recipes.

My grain bill had some help from Jamil's Red Rocket clone. I have lots of centennial and simcoe in the freezer so I took a fairly basic jab at coming up with a hop schedule. I would love some criticism so I can learn more about how to do this. I feel like this should make for a tasty hopped up red ale. Concerns would be all the high AA hops I suppose.

I enjoy the entire recipe with the one exception of...I feel simcoe is wasted at 60min (and to a lesser extent, 30min). there are much cheaper and higher AA hops you can use at 60min since you really get virtually no flavor from that addition. Save your Simcoe for your later additions. But that is only my opinion since I freakin love late addition simcoe. With that one exception, I will say you are definitely "go for launch" Good Brewing!

I agree completely with the Simcoe comments. Feel free to send me some so I can brew this as Simcoe is outrageously priced when you can find it.

Thanks for the comments! I'll have to dig through the freezer. I think I have some other bittering hop hanging around. I just wanted to use what I had on hand.

I completely understand that sentiment. Depending on how much centennial you have, you could use that as bittering.

Also, just fyi, did you know you are adding 0 oz of hops at 0 mins? lol

Im also looking at doing a red IPA. Im looking at this grain bill:

42.52% Pale Malt
42.52% Golden Promise Malt
5.03% CaraRed
5.03% Crystal 120

It says my SRM should be 13.9, but im banking on the 120 and CaraRed leaving a nice redness...

Last fall I brewed an IPA recipe with MO as the base malt. After first taste I decided to make the same recipe with an american 2 row base. I was able to tell the difference in the use of the two base malts easily but eventualy decided that at leat for an IPA the extra expense was not worth it. On the other hand I doubt that I will ever make another English Brown or bitter without using the MO.

I just brewed a very similar beer, verrrry similar recipe. I ditched the pale choco and went with a smaller addition of roasted barley - it will give you a better red color. My SRM was a little over 16 and it was a beautiful crimson colored beer, so I think you are definitely on the right track with this one!

I went with the roasted barley instead of the pale chocolate. Color looks good initially. Damn those centennials and simcoes smell amazing burping out of the fermenter. This'll be my first brew using an aeration system from Williams and using a temp controller. I think it'll turn out great. Hydro sample was pretty tasty.

I think that was a good idea. It's tough to make a red beer (without food coloring) and not have some Irish Red character but that's ok. You're trying to make something different. I'm going with CaraRed, C-120, and Roasted Barley with my red IPA recipe. Keep in touch so we can compare!

Bump from the dead.
Op
do u have pics of this beer? I was a nice red color

Sorry, I looked through my pics but have none. I do have a red rye that I brewed (Founders clone). The one on the left is mine. It darkened a tad after it cleared up more.
photo101.JPG

8lbs 2 row
2lbs Rye
1.5lbs CaraPils
.75lbs Crystal 80
.75lbs Crystal 40
.5lbs Aromatic
70% efficiency

Mash 154, 60min.

1oz Perle 60min
1oz Amarillo 30min
1oz Amarillo 20min.
1oz Amarillo 10min.
1oz Amarillo 5 min
1oz Amarillo flameout
3oz Amarillo dryhop (5 days)

Ok thanks would you say the ipa looked similar in color?my mission is to make a "red eye warrior" pale ale.
With warrior hops obviously

Ok thanks would you say the ipa looked similar in color?my mission is to make a "red eye warrior" pale ale.
With warrior hops obviously

Well, I think it was a bit darker than the red rye one. I based my grain bill off of Jamil's Red Rocket clone. You could probably google pictures of that but be careful just searching "red rocket."

Well, I think it was a bit darker than the red rye one. I based my grain bill off of Jamil's Red Rocket clone. You could probably google pictures of that but be careful just searching "red rocket."

haha ill post what ever red rocket pics come up lol

thanks again

Back