Temperature Control Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyjg44

Reaction score
Hey All - this is actually my 1st post, been reading for a while. Like other's I've been motivated to build my own kegerator / fermentation chamber out of a chest freezer, which I have recently gotten. I like the way the LOVE temp. controller looks and operates, however I'm no electrician and don't seem to grasp the wiring diagrams people have been posting.

I'm seeking advice - is there any benefit to using the LOVE controller and attempting to wire it, or would something like the Ranco controller operate just as well?

Thanks!

If you can't grasp the wiring diagram and are not comfortable playing with mains-electricity, it's not something you should consider doing yourself. Let an expert/electrician do it, or buy a controller than comes pre-wired.

Welcome to HBT!

+1 to wolfy's suggestion - the Ranco and Johnson models come pre-wired. Northern Brewer sells the analog and digital versions, for one...The Love (Dwyer Instruments) is sexy, but does require some know-how. It's more difficult to program, as well.

Wiring a simple johnson controlller or any other similar device is not a big deal. There should be three terminals one labeled NO One labeled NC and One labeled C. Just run the hot wire from the freezer to the NO Terminal and the hot wire to the outlet to the C terminal. Stick the remote sensor in the frezzer and turn it on!

could always try this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

I currently have a Ranco on my freezer and it works flawlessy. I wired it myself with no electrical experience with no problems. I did just buy that one in the above link as my freezer is in the garage and I want to be able to heat or cool at the same time so my beer doesnt freeze in February when it is -10* at night... I have not attempted the wiring of it yet though.

I have a Love controller and think it is great, but if your not familiar with wiring, do not do it.

chicompany.net a registered vendor here on HBT has a controller for a freezer for $39. Pretty inexpensive.

Back