Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this beer two weeks agao , bottled it friday night , its now sunday afternoon , I tried one , had a bottle that just didnt cap just right , left it out on the counter , just popped the top , poured it into a frosty glass , man , less than 48 hours in the bottle it is one of my best beers ! By next weekend its going to be great ! Most of my beers 6 to 8 weeks before drinkable , some of my beers 6 months before they are really good , but this beer is good right now , and I know a few week in the bottle its going to be great !

thank you very much for this recipe !

Brewed this again Sunday 5/23. OG came out to be 1.040. I ended up with a mash efficiency of only 66% which I'm pretty sure is due to my poor sparge. I also ended up using my magnum hops I had left over for the AA (adjusted the amount to .37 oz)and Cascade for finishing. Will see how it turns out.

Sorry but i did not want to read through the 81 pages to try to find the sulfite to chlorate ratio. any suggestions on this?

I'm a new brewer and I'm trying to use as many different hops as I possibly can to familiarize myself with their flavor and aroma. I recently made a pale ale using cascade hops and really enjoyed it. I would like to try this recipe and although I don't object to using cascades, I would like to try something different. Would amarillo be a good substitute for cascade?

Yeah Amarillo would be a good substitute. I think you'll like it.

Cascade/Centennial/Amarillo seem to go well in any combination from what I have found.

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

i am brewing this on Friday.....but I was thinking of 5 gallons instead.....anyone see a problem with dropping it to 5 gallons? I realize it will increase the ABV % and bitterness slightly...right?

hokay so one more quick question...

If you were making the extract version of this (as per the recipe at the bottom of pg 1) and you wanted to be drinking it in 3 weeks, and you bottle, what would you do? (using primary only)

1 week in the fermenter, 2 weeks in the bottle?
1.5 weeks in the fermenter, 1.5 weeks in the bottle?
2 weeks in the fermenter, 1 week in the bottle?

or something in between?

5c21b826.jpg

thanks for anuther great recipe. Next up your house ale then 3 crops for the 4th. Two weeks ago it was grain.

Hi - just did my first batch of of Centennial Blonde all grain. Missed the OG a bit at 1.036. Finished brewing on Saturday evening and added 1056 yeast. First thing on Sunday the airlock was showing vigorous signs of fermentation. Was very active thru Monday, but by Tuesday evening it appeared pretty inactive. No signs of activity today (Wed). Temp was around 66 or 68 and has since cooled to about 62 which is the lower end of 1056 which says it's good to 60 degrees. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading which I'll do in the next day or so. Could it really have pretty much fermented out in 2 days?[/quote]

Update. Kegged and carbed. Pulled a pint tonight and wasn't quite sure if it was any good. Pulled another...still not sure. Pulled 2 more. OK - I was sure on the first one, but just wanted to keep going. This stuff is awesome! Thanks for the recipe!!

NICE....thanks for the update.....I am going to brew the extract batch tomorrow.....so in a month or so I will let you guys know how that turns out.

P.S. Can you drink 1 for me....well go ahead and drink 12.....:mug:

So I'm drinking my first one today. I wanted to ahem do a trial run before my saturday Memorial day cookout. I think this thing will surely be a hit. I can see right through it thanks to the gelatin and it has a balanced taste that should appeal to my guests.

Thanks for the recipe I have a feeling it will be brewed again.....soon.

So on the Extract version......are we talking a 60 min boil....so boil extract for 15 mins then add hops....OR 45 minute boil and add hops right away/......

Getting ready to do this.....NOW..... wew berew day baby!
:mug:

are we talking a 60 min boil....so boil extract for 15 mins then add hops....OR 45 minute boil and add hops right away/......

Get it boiling and then add hops.
the sched:
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%AA] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)

If your AA's are different, adjust accordingly to get the recipe's 21 IBUs. I believe the Cent hops were high so BM adjusted the boil time downward to get 21 IBU.

Ahhh...ok thanks for clarification on that....I have QBrew...so I will double check on the hop boil times to get 21 IBU.....thanks!

I brewed this Last Sunday. I had to use American 2 Row Pale with 1.5 SRM instead of 2.0 SRM and my Carapils was only 1.5 SRM as well. I just took a gravity reading and wow is this beer light (in color) the gravity is at 1.008. I plan to bottle this in a couple days. Pretty sure its done now. ABV is about 4% so should be a descent quaffer, maybe SWMBO will like it this time. Will post pics when its done carbing, as light as it is I expect to be drinking this out of a bottle in just a week and a half.

I just BMBF'd the end of my keg of this (2nd time around). There wasn't much to bottle:(
We have enjoyed every one, as has everyone that has ever tasted it. Thanks again.

Just ordered the grain for a 10g batch of this. I have plenty of cascade and centennial hops laying around. This should be a nice session beer for the summer!

I brewed the etract version of this on Friday, May 28...so it has been in primary 10 days now.

I noticed on here a lot of you are kegging it in 10 days.,....

I will be bottling.....my plan was to let it go in primary 2 weeksd then toss it in secondary....but MANY people said no need.....also I was going to use gelatin in secondary......

So my current plan:
1) Check SG on day 12......check again on day 15....and bottle on day 15 if SG is steady.
2) Gelatin in bottling bucket instead of secondary.....I was told the gelatin will clear it up in the bottle during carbonation and then again when itr is finally chilled in frideg...

Also, I am also used to everyone saying 3 weaks in bottles minimum...but it sounds like 1.5-2 weeks may be adequate?

Can I get a HELL YEAH....on this approach....or some any other advice please....

I am just used to doing 3 weeks in fermenter on my first couple beers....to allow the yeasties to clean things up....but it sounds like not necessary on this one.

P.S. I need to decide what my next brew will be this weekend coming up!

SO far I have done: Kolsch, Stout, Centennial Blonde.......

So any recommendations for a good dog days of summer ale???

I don't think the secondary or the gelatin are really necessary.

I did 2 weeks in primary and then bottled. 3 weeks in the bottle at 70 ish and another week in cellar about 50 ish and it was as clear as a bell and delicious.

Try Yooper's House Pale next.

Cool...thanks BendBrewer....I will go with that plan and see how it turns out.

I did do Irish Moss in kettle....so I already did something extra towards clarity...even if it is not totally necessary....

I will check out Yoopers Pale Yale too!

I have some hallertau I need to use. Could I get a similar flavor with it using the same grain and yeast? If so, would I use the same hops schedule or would it be necessary since all of the hops would be the same? I realize I would need to run it in ProMash to confirm I am within the IBU's. I just don't have any experience with late additions so not sure what flavor it would impart.

Just looking for light beer that my BMC friends may like and this sounds like one. Thanks.

I dont know about the Halletauer as far as flavoring. if you plan to use it for bittering and flavor you would need to adjust it for IBU's as its generally lower in AA than Centennial. I used Magnum for bittering and Cascade for flavoring and it worked out ok. I think it could use just a bit more flavoring hops. The batch I just made turned out a bit on the malty side. Maybe BM will chime in since its hi recipe :)

Looks like pretty soon there's going to need to be a "How many gallons of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde have been made?" thread.

I brewed this as my first AG about a month ago, and it turned out fantastic. It's light, flavorful, not overly filling, and very inexpensive to brew. Another brewer friend of mine liked it so much that we'll be following it up with a 10Gal batch this weekend.

Thanks to BierMuncher for yet another great recipe. :mug:

BMCentennial_Blonde.jpg

Used WLP001 for this one, but I'll be using a complementary sample of pacman I I recently got from the LHBS for the next one. :ban:

Last weekends brew was first time doing water modification. Used some gypsum to make a water more suitable to lighter colored beers (my tap makes GREAT porters and stouts). I used Belgian pale for the base malt, so I'm looking forward to how this one comes out.

Without a doubt, it's been my favorite brew from the 15 or so beers I've made. They've all been good but this one stands out from the others.

Cheers BierMuncher. Job well done! :rockin:

Brewed my partial mash version on 5/3. Bottled on 5/23. Packed them in the truck and took them from Nashville to Hilton Head with us on vacation. Enjoying them now (6/12)! Definitely perfect for beach and poolside consumption.

Brewed my first Blonde 10 gallon batch on 5/13 and just had my first sip today. Very smooth, very drinkable......perfect summer brew!

Thanks BM and Cheers!

Have 7 gallons in the fermentor right now. Smells fantastic. I screwed up the recipe though, as I always manage to do. I wanted to do a partial mash so I could get the flavor of the vienna malt, so I calculated the partial mash recipe myself. Beersmith didn't have pilsen DME in the recipe database, so I entered it in myself. Only problem was I typed in the stats for LME, 1.037 SG/lb/gal instead of 1.044 SG/lb/gal. Whoops. So my SG was 1.051. I did add some fermcap-s, so I am hoping the extra 10% bitterness kicks in, otherwise it is going to be a rather malty beverage. I'll have to try it again the right way and try not to screw it up this time. Anyone who has dry hopped this-- did that turn out good or was that too much for the style?

Klaus

I made the extract version....and last saturday I tried one of them after only 1-week in the bottle....and it was excellent.....I can't wait to try the rest after another couple weeks.

just got the ingredients for the extract today. hoping to brew it tomorrow!

I brewed this up early last month, found I had no c-10 so I upped the vienna and kicked the mash temp up to keep some residual sweetness, racked onto 5 lbs of strawberries in secondary. fantastic brew that was VERY well recieved at the homebrew meeting, it fell 1 vote short of homebrew of the month mostly because my growlers ran dry before everyone could try it.

I brewed this a few months back and enjoyed it very much. This weekend I plan to brew it again, though this time I plan on souring it and adding some blueberries. I plan on mashing for 36 hours. I'll report back in a couple months.

Latest posts

Back