Dry hopping after primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawei21

Reaction score
Is there any advantage to adding fresh hops after the primary, at the start of secondary? I've had a bag in there for the week in the primary and was wondering if adding it for the next week in the secondary would add anything.

Thanks

Usually dry hopping is done IN the secondary. Not a requirement, but just the way it's usually done.

Adding more hops to the secondary is going to give you more hop aroma.

Dry hop utilization is best at 68* and up.
It is best to dry hop after fermentation is complete. CO2 created by fermentation will carry off some of the aroma.
You will get just about everything good there is to get out of dry hops after 6-10 days. Some say as few as 3-5 will get as much flavor/aroma as it available in dry hops.

I've dry hopped in the primary after the majority of fermentation was done, usually at or really near FG numbers. Worked out fine. However I now just dry hop in the keg, works just as well and easier for me. The dry hop taste/aroma lasts longer.

How long you dry hop depends on the hops, temps and your personal preference.

I've dry hopped in the primary after the majority of fermentation was done, usually at or really near FG numbers. Worked out fine. However I now just dry hop in the keg, works just as well and easier for me. The dry hop taste/aroma lasts longer.

When you dry hop in the primary, do you just toss the pellets in, or do you put them in something?

Back