Preservatives in my Cider???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy_Merk

Reaction score
I recently tried to make a cider without reading any recipes. We had some leftover ale yeast and an open bucket so we decided to try a cider.

the concoction was...

4 gallons pure apple juice (no preservatives)
.5 gallon kiwi/strawberry juice
.5 gallon pomegranate/cranberry juice
1lb brown sugar
munton's ale yeast

The two half gallons probably contained preservatives, but I'm not sure. It has been fermenting for about two weeks.

My question is - what will the preservatives do to my cider
? I opened the bucket and I'm seeing these white worm looking things that will kind of bounce up and down...

thanks, roy

It it had preservative you would not have had fermentation. It does however sound like you might have an infection. What did you use to sanitize?

Well, I'm not sure if it has fermented because I didn't take a gravity reading, but there is definitely something going on. We actually just ran out of star-san before we could sanitize the siphon to get a reading.

So I gather if there were preservatives they would kill the yeast and nothing would happen. Or is it possible they leave nasty white silly string stuff behind?

Preservatives would kill off the yeast but it wouldn't leave silly string stuff. If you can post a picture we might be able to get an idea.

Back