Fantastic deal on turkey fryer!! (for boiling wort)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7Enigma

Reaction score
EDIT: Deal is NOW DEAD, price is $70.

So I've brewed one batch of beer with a smaller than needed pot. It was not fun, constantly stirring and changing the heat level. I've been trying to find a good price on a large pot but have been met with incredibly expensive cookware ($50-150)! I'm actually brewing an Oatmeal Stout this afternoon with a friends 5 gallon pot but came across this fantastic deal on a turkey cooker.

When I was over my dad's friend's house a couple weeks ago he opened my eyes to the fantastic method of brewing outdoor with a propane turkey frier. This thing made everything so much easier. You don't have to worry about the steam/smell filling the house, spills, cramped working spaces, etc. Also the propane setup can heat the wort MUCH faster and you can get almost instantaneous temp control.

So I found this on Amazon and was immediately attracted to the price (but the 2 out of 5 stars had me wary). It turns out the description did not match the pictures and several people gave it horrible reviews because it didn't include some fish frier (like I care). Apparently due to the bad reviews it seems Amazon has dropped the price to make it more attractive (it worked for me). To top it off it is eligable for the Free Supersaver shipping so the 22lb ($20 shipped to my house) which would have made the deal only semi-good is shipped for free.

For $36 (EDIT: Now down to $30.72) I get a much more enjoyable way to brew my beer. Here's the link if anyone else is interested, but I had to share this if other people were dissapointed with the thought of spending a lot of money on a pot (especially just getting into the hobby).

HTH :tank:

http://www.amazon.com/Eastman-Outdoors-38021-30-Quart-Professional-Grade/dp/B000AXSJJQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1210178210&sr=8-3

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same burner (Eastman Revolution), and it's much nicer than the cheap turkey fryers you can find anywhere. Even though it doesn't look like it will, it will fit a keg on it.

The 30 qt pot that it comes with is still pretty small for a full boil, so don't expect to look away from it while you're boiling.

This is the exact one that I use; got it for $25 from Lowe's on clearance one day. Boilovers are a definite concern for sure so make sure you have your spray bottle on hand during the first twenty minutes or so. That said, I've used it for about 5 or 6 brews and boiling 6.5 gallons is tricky but can be done if you watch it like a hawk.

I figure the alcohol will kill my brain cells quicker than the aluminum.

At least, that's what I keep repeating to myself... :drunk:

Aluminum = alzheimers. :D

Check out this thread.

- Aluminum pots will cause Alzheimer's disease. FALSE. This myth was debunked years ago by the medical research community, and the US National Institutes of Health and Health Canada have long since ruled out a connection between Alzheimer’s disease and aluminum cookware. If you don’t believe me, see the following:
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/sc...?documentID=99
http://alz.org/alzheimers_disease_my...alzheimers.asp
http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/alzheimers.htm

The 30 qt pot that it comes with is still pretty small for a full boil, so don't expect to look away from it while you're boiling.
Unless you spend like $7 for a bottle of foam control drops, and then you hardly have to pay any attention to it at all, even if you've only got like 2 inches of headspace.

I'd still GREATLY prefer stainless, but this actually seems like a good deal. I can't get the burner itself less than $45, and this one comes with a 7 gallon pot.

EDIT: Just placed an order. I'm one step closer to AG baby!!!!!! Thank you very much to the OP for the link.

Wow, they lowered the price even more. It's 34.04 shipped now. Too bad I didn't wait, I could have saved almost 2 bucks :D

Wow, they lowered the price even more. It's 34.04 shipped now. Too bad I didn't wait, I could have saved almost 2 bucks :D

You'll have to search around to find out how, but Amazon will refund you the difference. You just have to find the right link where you request it.

They can keep the $2. Not worth my time....but how in the world are they making any profit off of this? I mean shipping isn't cheap, the parts (apparently) aren't junk, so I just don't see how this is anything more than break-even for Amazon...But I'm not complaining!

Just got an email confirmation. The cooker should arrive tomorrow. :ban:

I ordered this a few days as well, and just got the message that it shipped this morning.

Now we have all the equipment for our first AG. :)

I just ordered mine today. The price has dropped more to ~32-33$. Can't wait to do a full boil!

Now I just need to get my copper tubing ordered, I have no good way to chill 5 gallons of boiling wort at the moment :)

I just ordered mine today. The price has dropped more to ~32-33$. Can't wait to do a full boil!

Now I just need to get my copper tubing ordered, I have no good way to chill 5 gallons of boiling wort at the moment :)

Just did our first 5 gallon boil in the fryer last Saturday. Same problem, no way to cool the wort. However 2 large bags of commercial ice and a 6 dollar plastic trash can worked wonders. We dumped about 1/2 a bag in the bottom of the trash can and lowered the fryer into it then placed ice all the way around the stock pot by hand so as not to splash. Went from 212 degrees at flameout to 74 degrees in 18 minutes. Was below 140 in less than 5.

I am still going to get a wort chiller but I am definately not in as big a rush as I was.

It dropped again! $32.34 shipped now. Anyone who misses their chance at getting this is going to be upset.

By the way, if anyone ordered the product back when it was $36, just email amazon and they will refund you the difference. They already refunded $2 bucks when it went to $34... looks like I'm going to have to email them again.

I have been extract brewing (partial boil) for about 7-8 batches, and I have been fairly pleased with the results. I have been wanting to upgrade to a full boil. I am wondering if I should grab this deal. I am just wondering if I will want to upgrade the burner and the pot shortly, and maybe I should just save the $30 for a nicer set up. In other words, will this satisfy my full boil needs for long enough to make it worth the $30?

I have been extract brewing (partial boil) for about 7-8 batches, and I have been fairly pleased with the results. I have been wanting to upgrade to a full boil. I am wondering if I should grab this deal. I am just wondering if I will want to upgrade the burner and the pot shortly, and maybe I should just save the $30 for a nicer set up. In other words, will this satisfy my full boil needs for long enough to make it worth the $30?
I have an el' cheapo turkey fryer kit like this, and I wondered the same thing. I also now have a keggle and good stand/burner, but I still make VERY good use of the old turkey fryer setup. First, aluminum pots work wonders on the stovetop (important for me in the winter when I can't brew outside). Second, I figured out that full boils in the turkey fryer pot are NO PROBLEM whatsoever now that I am using foam control drops (aka Fermcap). Finally, if you ever do upgrade, the pot and burner make a fine hot liquor tank. At that price, you seriously can't go wrong.

Done. The timing could not have been better. I'm about to move to Florida and I have to buy my own full set of equipment. This saved me a bunch of money. Dad's was a gift, I gotta leave it for him.

Just did our first 5 gallon boil in the fryer last Saturday. Same problem, no way to cool the wort. However 2 large bags of commercial ice and a 6 dollar plastic trash can worked wonders. We dumped about 1/2 a bag in the bottom of the trash can and lowered the fryer into it then placed ice all the way around the stock pot by hand so as not to splash. Went from 212 degrees at flameout to 74 degrees in 18 minutes. Was below 140 in less than 5.

I am still going to get a wort chiller but I am definately not in as big a rush as I was.

Those are some great numbers to hear Jeff. Thanks for that info. In general I want to avoid having to buy ice, but it should be OK until the IC is all put together :mug:

Just bought it too...$32.34...can't get much better than that. Thanks for letting everyone know about this ridiculously good deal.

So I came home yesterday to the frier at the front porch. Opened her up and it was damaged in shipping (thanks UPS!). The bottom of the pot right after it curves upwards was smashed in a bit and the top's lip was also bent. I'm not in the mood to deal with a return so I'll just keep it and hopefully won't have any trouble. It just sucks. I always seem to get damaged (due to shipping) merchandise.

On to the build quality. For the price it's pretty good. The stand seems sturdy and the pot itself is nice. The handles feel kind of chincy, but I'm sure they will hold a full 5 gallon boil, or they would have been sued out of existance by now. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do a full boil in it, or just a partial boil. With many people having great results with late extract additions there really doesn't seem to be a good reason to do a full boil. With a smaller volume cooling should also be quicker.

Amazon gave me 2 refunds, from $36 down to $32.34. If they continue lowering the price (within 30 days from the time I purchased it), I will continue to get refunds.

Amazon FTW!! :rockin:

For those of you who have used a 7 gallon turkey fryer to do 5 gallon boils...

Is it still possible to pour the wort into the primary? Probably not. Probably just gonna have to siphon.

What a great deal I just got this for $32.34 plus I got free 2 day shipping for signing up for the free trial of amazon prime. Cant do much better than that. Now all I need is an IC and a propane tank and I'm ready to do AG.

:ban::ban::ban:

Is it still possible to pour the wort into the primary? Probably not. Probably just gonna have to siphon.

Yes, but I usually have a friend or two over during the brew session to help out. I use a sanitized funnel with a strainer on top to catch the hops and place it over the primary. This also helps to aerate the wort - I typically have a healthy foam on my wort after I'm done transferring. I could probably do this on my own, but I'd rather not risk dumping 5 gallons or sticky wort all over the place.

Here's a pic just for fun!
DSCF0046.JPG

I have this exact burner, and it works well. A word of caution when using a keg as your boiler. After it's been sitting on the burner cooking for 90 minutes, if you try to lift the keggle up off the burner, the prongs on the fryer like to stick to the bottom. I now have a habit of stepping on one of the 'feet' of the fryer whenever I lift up the keggle.

I siphon even though I could pour it if I wanted....whirlpool then siphon to avoid trub. Just sayin

A few quick questions on this!

People are complaining its not a commercial quality, only a professional quality. What does that means and does it matter to us?

Can you drill and install a weldless fitting to an aluminum pot?

Thanks!

A few quick questions on this!

People are complaining its not a commercial quality, only a professional quality. What does that means and does it matter to us?

Can you drill and install a weldless fitting to an aluminum pot?

Thanks!

The difference was between included accessories, not the quality of the aluminum/burner.

No clue.

Back