Hops to compliment earthy Grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
Hi all!

I made a brew with citrus hops and what a mistake. The grain bill had a very interesting 'earthy' quality to it. I want to add hops to compliment this grain bill but don't know much about these kinds of hops.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good hop combination to compliment my earthy grain bill? I am thinking fuggles at 60 min but want to try something other than EKG at 20 min. Any thoughts? TIA

what kind of beer is it you are making

LOL...good question. To be perfectly honest, I want the grain bill to do the talking.

85% MAris Otter
10 Munich
5% Carastan

Pleasant earthy flavour is the result. J, help a brutha out. What do you suggest??

You could try tettnang or northern brewer, I get earthy from both of those without the citrus. There are others that I can think of off the top of my head that are earthy but also have citrus too like simcoe or chinook

Nugget is very earthy/herbal and smooth, without the grapefruity edge that a lot of hops have. You could also just use hops at 60 to provide the requisite bitterness, and let the grain do all the talking.

Nugget is very earthy/herbal and smooth, without the grapefruity edge that a lot of hops have. You could also just use hops at 60 to provide the requisite bitterness, and let the grain do all the talking.

I've never used nugget hops before. Thanks for the tip. I will do a bit of research on them!

Czech Saaz.

I was looking through a few old english pub ale recipies and was surprised to find Saaz as an aroma hop in some of them, but it made me curious enough to try it in a recipe for this weekend. Full disclosure, I love EKG. LOVE IT. The WGV (EKG hybrid with more fruit) would be another interesting option.

I like the idea of that Nugget too, but for an aroma hop over Fuggles I'd want a low AA hop so it doesn't get lost.

Hi all!

I made a brew with citrus hops and what a mistake. The grain bill had a very interesting 'earthy' quality to it. I want to add hops to compliment this grain bill but don't know much about these kinds of hops.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good hop combination to compliment my earthy grain bill? I am thinking fuggles at 60 min but want to try something other than EKG at 20 min. Any thoughts? TIA

What was the "citrus hops?" EKG?
Seems like Fuggles @20min would be the hop to use for earthy.
Or if you don't want hop flavors in the way than just cut out the 20 minute hop.

Back