When did you consider yourself a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
It's official - I have echewed all other hobbies while I pursue homebrewing.

The decision point was six pounds of hops that arrived from hopsdirect.com. It looks massive.

I have over 100 lbs of grain in inventory, and another 150 lbs on the way. The small brew room is crowded with 1,2, ... 18 buckets of varying sizes, including 2x15 gallon tubs to receive the next grain shipment. There is a teeny fridge for fermenting and chilling. Stir plate. Scale. Grain on the floor. Glue traps in the corners. Six or eight cases of bottles at any time.

I like my primitive BAB system. Over the next 2 years I am considering a 10 gallon pot, running a 230V circuit, and permanently installing electric elements and a recirculation pump.

Homebrewing. It is a never ending spiral into the pit.

I don't think iv met anyway that after trying it just stopped. It seems like after the first successful batch you are screwed and are a homebrewer. Be that positive or negative in its addictive qualities. Lol

Hmmmm...when my wife started liking my beers so much,that she finally went into the lhbs with me to pick out a kit. and all the while I was picking out a 2nd fermenter,airlocks,etc to do 2 at a time. Now I have a pile of gadgets,a grain mill for my homer cheapo bucket,a better bottle for secondarying once in a while. Bench capper,bottle tree,vinator,flask...it never ends...:cross::mug:

I was hooked and considered myself a homebrewer the moment I smelled my first wort. Smelling the fresh hops clinched it (same day). I love to cook & BBQ. I also love to woodwork, metalwork, garden, etc. -- and I just see this as another outlet for my creativity.

When I cracked the top on the very first bottle of home brewed beer I made. To my excitement, it was perfectly carbonated, and as I reminisce, it was the best beer I had ever tasted. :mug:

Same for me, after my first 1 gallon batch, now its grown to
1 stainless steel 10 gallon boil kettle
Mash tun
Buckets galore
143 lbs of grain
12 vials of yeast, most washed or made from a starter and repackaged
Kegerator with 4 kegs
6 lbs of different hops
And all in the last11 months!

I am now a definitely commented homebrewer, spent 844.00 on perlicks, kegs, beer and gas lines for my new keezer build today. This hobby cost money, but it sure is fun!!!

I was hooked and considered myself a homebrewer the moment I smelled my first wort. Smelling the fresh hops clinched it (same day). I love to cook & BBQ. I also love to woodwork, metalwork, garden, etc. -- and I just see this as another outlet for my creativity.

This me to the Tee! I was hooked the first brew day. Brewing is just one more of my DIY hobby/skills.

When I find out that people have been talking about my beers and everyone and their mom are asking me for a sample.

I'm with duboman....the very 1st time I pitched yeast. And like the others, as time and $ allow, the equipement will grow to try and satisfy the addictive hobby. Lol. I started with a.g. and now there's no turnin back. Cheeers!

When I started accepting donations for ingredients... and every gift from everyone I know began to be "beer stuff" - that's when I realized I had stumbled into the best hobby ever and started considering myself a homebrewer.

It's a conversation piece, for sure. People I don't even know, through friends or co-workers, know what I do. "Oh you're the guy that made the beer I had!" Kinda neat.

I guess when my beer was a peer group success. Also I started getting LHBS gift certificates. I still don't take myself too seriously. My husband thinks I have lost my mind though.

When I popped open my first extract brew from a kit. Color, head, taste, lacing, flavor. " I made this?"

When I did my first ground-grain-glass batches last December. I grew and malted my grain, used homegrown hops, and made a stout and a weizen. When those two brews turned out, I felt comfortable saying I'm a homebrewer, not just a guy who makes beer at home.

For me, I think it was when I woke up for work at 4am and RAN to my fermentor to sniff the airlock of my first batch the day after I pitched :drunk:

The day my kit arrived and I started brewing. I was completely hooked when I had brewed my first 2 batches and hadn't tasted either one due to being pregnant.

The day I finally started understanding all the different terms in brewing.

(still some anagrams I haven't figured out yet... but once I find what they stand for the understanding is there)

This was only about a year ago now that I brewed my first 1 gallon kit. About two months after that I brewed my first 5 gallon kit and it was all downhill from there...

Now with [email protected] gallon glass carboys, 1@5 gallon glass carboy, [email protected] gallon bottling bucket, 10 gallon brew kettle, 2 kegorators (3 taps total), 4@5 gallon ball lock keg, 2@5 gallon pin lock keg, multiple cappers (Think i am up to 3 now), a very large and still growing bottle collection. And enough beer in the pipeline to last me the next 6-7 months.

And yet... plenty more to buy...

I considered myself a home brewer when I brewed my first batch of beer... at home... I'm also a home vintner for similar reasons.

Latest posts

Back