Monster mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjackson82

Reaction score
Anyone have any details on this? I'm not looking to enter but would like to see what it's about. I've never been to a comp before so what can I expect? Or are spectators even allowed/welcome?

It is our (HBAMM)'s competition. This is the third one. First year was only limited to two categories, but for the past two years, it has been all BJCP categories.
I do not know if we have updated the info on it, but we are doing the awards on November 9 at a local place (Jackson) called Scrooge's at 7 pm. The awards ceremony is open to anyone as far as I am concerned.

I know a couple of the other Greenville brewers and they do have a club up there, but I am not sure if they are coming or not or if they have entered.

Anyone have any details on this? I'm not looking to enter but would like to see what it's about. I've never been to a comp before so what can I expect? Or are spectators even allowed/welcome?

This is our second year of Monster Mash. We are judging some of the entries tonight and will judge the rest of them Saturday. We have several BJCP judges joining us and other experienced judges.

We judge according to the BJCP guidelines for the category the beer was entered in. We then take the category winners and they go before a Best of Show panel. Saturday, we will announce the category and Best of Show winners at the awards party. Sometimes, the participants come to awards party to see if they won... if they aren't there we mail their scores to them.

Thanks for the info. I guess I had something different in mind. Something like a barbecue comp where you can sample the participants product and talk with other brewers about it.

There are a couple of those around, Jacktoberfest was on October 18 and Keg and Barrel was on the 2nd. I think there are a couple others where that is possible too, but not 100%.

Where is a good resource to find out about these events? I really would like to check them out!

The local club in your area is Levee Break Brew Club... We know a couple of them from various competitions and they make great beer. Their facebook site is below.
https://www.facebook.com/Leveebreakbrewcrew

Thile and I are part the Homebrewer's Association of Middle Mississippi. We are a Jackson metro based homebrew club. Our site is hbamm.org and we try to keep the calendar updated for events:
http://hbamm.org

HBAMM organized the Jacktoberfest competition and assisted with homebrew beer garden at the event. It was a lot of fun and worth the trip to Jackson to attend.
http://www.jacktoberfest.com/

The past couple of years we have had a Homebrewer's Retreat just outside of Vicksburg. There people from Delta Brews (local Vicksburg club), HBAMM, and Levee Break there. I don't know if there will be one this year though. The organizer has moved to Ellisville.

Any word on the results? Webpage doesn't list them yet... curious because I sent off a couple entries (first time)

Back