Cascade and Willamette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewohm

Reaction score
I'm a first year grower and am wondering how soon I should be expecting cones to develop. Living in the southern Catskills (NY State). First two pics are Cascade and third pic is Willamette. Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

image-3698852518.jpg

image-3165600006.jpg

image-3263141102.jpg

They look healthy, my only concern of note for coming years would be that you will need to figure out a way to keep the hops on one side of your planter from mingling with the others once they reach the top as it looks like they share a common point there.

That is assuming one side is cascade and one is willamette.

They will grow together and you wont be able to tell what is what, some people dont mind just having a blend of their hops instead of keeping them seperate. Thats up to you.

As for how soon to expect hops: it's hard to say, all plants are different, you will start to see burrs forming on the sidearms, a few weeks later they will turn into hops. My first year plants have burrs while my second and third year plants have lots of hops, some of which have already been picked. So it depends on the age of the plant too

Oh and I would also suggest trimming the leaves and sidearms off the bottom 1-2 feet of the plant. Those leaves can pick up diseases like wilt and rust from other plants on the ground and quickly spread to the rest of the plant. Don't worry about diminishing your harvest, most of the hops will form on the top and middle of the plant. As a word of encouragement: cascades are f'n PROLIFIC!

I wouldn't expect to get anything the first year. There are exceptions, but for the most part the first year is just root establishment.

Thanks for the input! I actually have two beds going (1 for each variety) with 6 rhizomes planted in each bed -- so will not have to worry about them mingling together.

I'm not expecting to get a huge harvest, but something would be nice.

Thanks again!

Expect the Cascades to do better than the Willamette's. I am on the second year of both these varieties andthe cascades are way ahead of the willamette. it seems that cascades like heat better the willamette.

Latest posts

Back