Black IPA Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcaustin

Reaction score
Last night I was at Brouwer's Cafe in Seattle, and had a glass of what was labeled "Rogue Black IPA." I really like this beer and went looking for some information about it this morning online and couldn't find it anywhere. I called the bar to find out more about it and they said that the keg was from Rogue and that it was otherwise unlabeled.

Looking through Rogue's website, the closest thing that I could find was their Black Brutal '07 (http://www.rogue.com/brews.html#JLSBB07). Anyway, I really want to make something similar to what I had. Here's my first stab at the recipe. I'd appreciate any feedback that any of you may have if you've had this beer or another black IPA.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 29.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
2.00 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 43.8 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 169.4 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Dry hop 2 oz of Amarillo for 2 weeks.

*edited to add Wyeast 1056 yeast.
Thanks!

Austin

I've had a lot of Rogue and dont recall any being called a black ipa on the bottle. I would tend to think it was the brutal bitter you were given which is really good IMO. Heres what they say about their black brutal which is like this yrs refined version of the brutal bitter. If you cant find a brutal bitter in the stores to taste test I'm sure someone can send you one, they had them at my fav. brew store last time I was in.

Black Brutal ’07 is brewed with Great Western 2-row and Munich; Weyermann Carafoam Special, Carawheat, and Melanoidin malts, along with Summit, Simcoe and Amarillo hops in the boil, and more Amarillo in the hopback; plus free range coastal waters, and top fermenting Pacman yeast. Black Brutal ’07 measures in at 15.1 Plato OG, 4.2 Plato FG, and approx 60 IBUs

I would look to schwartzbeir, with the use of Carafa special for color. What was the beer like? Dry, roasty, sweet? Was it like an Imperial IPA? I had the Stone 11th and it was dry, dark, with a light and balanced roast, and lots of hops.

Brewpastor said:
I would look to schwartzbeir, with the use of Carafa special for color. What was the beer like? Dry, roasty, sweet? Was it like an Imperial IPA? I had the Stone 11th and it was dry, dark, with a light and balanced roast, and lots of hops.

Roque makes an Imperial IPA it comes in a large BLACK ceramic bottle with a Grolsch style top. As far as IPA's go I found it to be below avg though. That could be what you had though.

Based on what you describe, I'd guess you probably had the Brutal Bitter. Googled for clone recipes and found a couple of different ones listed.

My idea of a black IPA would probably go along the lines of what Brewpastor recommmended. Or start with a regular IPA recipe and some darker malts to darken the color and add flavor.

Brewpastor said:

Nope, it wasn't imperial at all, but had great citrusy hop aroma plus some porter flavor (smooth, not smoky). It was pitch black with good brownish head. My best guess is that it was the Black Brutal '07, which I read on beeradvocate.com that some people have been getting served when they ordered Brutal Bitter.

I'll have to give the Stone 11th a try and see if that's pretty close. As for the recipe I posted earlier, what do you guys think? Is there anything there that screams "this is going to suck?" I took the chocolate malt from some porter recipes I've seen to get the darker color and some roastyness (is that a word?).

Thanks!

please let me know how the recipe you 'cooked' up turns out. i too was smitten by the unusual brew (served at brouwer's) and would like to get something similar going before spring hits. also, i had a first taste of rogue's imperial red (supposedly hitting stores soon) and that was tasty, but didn't compare w/the black ipa in my mind (too nutty or something). i'm planning to start a hop rod rye clone soon and may modify it to reach toward the imperial level. if you know of anything similar to that too i'd be much appreciative. best of luck w/the recipe.

matte(not glossy) said:
please let me know how the recipe you 'cooked' up turns out. i too was smitten by the unusual brew (served at brouwer's) and would like to get something similar going before spring hits. also, i had a first taste of rogue's imperial red (supposedly hitting stores soon) and that was tasty, but didn't compare w/the black ipa in my mind (too nutty or something). i'm planning to start a hop rod rye clone soon and may modify it to reach toward the imperial level. if you know of anything similar to that too i'd be much appreciative. best of luck w/the recipe.

Will do! I'm hoping to brew my version this weekend. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has actually tasted this brew!

Austin

matte(not glossy) said:

Well, I brewed this recipe two weeks ago, with the only change being Vienna instead of Melanoiden malt (modified recipe linked in my signature). I just took a sample of it and I'm pretty excited for this one to get dry-hopped and kegged!

It's not exactly what I remember the "Black IPA" that I had at Brouwer's tasting like, but has sort of a slight chocolate flavor that seems to balance nicely with the Simcoe bittering, and just a hint of Amarillo aroma. I think that the Amarillo dry hop should makes this really great!

Austin

Latest posts

Back