Idea for keezer design.....Doable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
I have looked through as many of the posts as I could and haven't seen what I am looking for (doesn't mean it is not there, I just haven't found it).

I really want a tower, but think keezers much more attractive in general than kegarators. What if I got a small chest freezer, did the collar, and then attempted to remove the hinge from one side of the lid, move it over, cut the lid in two and put a tower on the now non-moving third of the thing? I would have to move the hinge over to the other section and go from there. that part of the keezer lid would operate as normal and on a small freezer I'd still be able to access the whole interior. I'll attach a little diagram of the idea below. Would this be possible, or do you think the cut too difficult to make? If someone has done it point me that direction please.

kezplan.jpg

No, I haven't seen that setup before, and I think you'd encounter problems getting a decent seal where you cut the lid. Unless you have access to some decent metal working tools I think it would turn out pretty ugly. Unless you made an entirely new lid out of wood.

I feel like I have seen something like that, but can't for the life of me figure out how to search for it. If I remember right, they were building a big wooden tower along the full length of one of the shorter sides. Because it was so big, lifting would have been difficult, so they went with setting up a 1/3 + 2/3 idea like you've got. Unfortunately, I can't remember if they used the original lid, or made a new one out of wood and insulation.

You'd also have to be careful drilling the holes for the new hing in the middle. I'm sure with a little patience or a chilling line diagram you can do it, just one more thing to consider.

What if you made the collar wider than the freezer so you could make it like a overhanging table to mount the tower to? If that makes sense.

What if you made the collar wider than the freezer so you could make it like a overhanging table to mount the tower to? If that makes sense.

I have seen that somewhere. IIRC it was ok, but just didn't really look 'right'. I won't attempt anything until warmer weather so I can get out in the garage and get a work space cleared, etc. Just thinking about starting to look on Craig's List for a freezer or fridge. I want it for my basement man cave in progress and need to fully measure the space available, etc. Just putting a pencil on it at the moment.

I know I've seen at least two versions of that design here. They're probably both in the "show us your kegerator" thread somewhere, but that's a lot of pages to sort through.

Back