first bottling question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjsmith

Reaction score
I know there are probably 50+ threads already with this same topic but I'm a couple drinks in and don't feel like searching ;)....

so we just bottled our first IPA and were hoping it'd be ready for a Christmas party (about 10 days in the bottle). We are planning on testing it a few days before but I was wondering if there were some specifics I should be looking for... Besides being delicious. Also, what amount of time seems to be the norm for IPA's? Thanks for answering the silly question, I'm looking forward to asking many more

I know there are probably 50+ threads already with this same topic but I'm a couple drinks in and don't feel like searching ;)....

so we just bottled our first IPA and were hoping it'd be ready for a Christmas party (about 10 days in the bottle). We are planning on testing it a few days before but I was wondering if there were some specifics I should be looking for... Besides being delicious. Also, what amount of time seems to be the norm for IPA's? Thanks for answering the silly question, I'm looking forward to asking many more

3 weeks fermenting at 64, 3 week in the bottle at 70

I typically taste my brews two weeks after bottling, and in most cases have found that they are quite drinkable. I like to give them another week in the bottle after the first taste, just to see if I can discern any difference, but in general I can't, though I'm sure that there are people with more highly developed taste buds out there who would taste a difference.

I just looked over my notes and I am typically running five to six weeks stove to mouth.

Carbonation take some time but you can speed it up just a little by keeping the bottles warm. I've had carbonation in just a few days with the temperature at 72 to 73 F. Once carbonated they still need refrigerated for a bit. 24 hours works, 48 or more would be better.

Part of the equation is missing too. How long did you let it sit in the fermenter and at what temperature? Longer in the fermenter means shorter in bottles until it's ready to drink.

Try one in 9 days. If it is ready in your opinion, then serve/bring it. I have had some brews that were ready in 3 days. I have had some that take 8 - 9 weeks. It all depends on the brew.

So we tried it today and it seemed to be pretty carbonated, guess we'll give it another week and see.

I actually began with a blonde ale, then added 5 lbs of Asian Pears in the 2nd fermentation. When I bottled, I strained the 2nd fermentation bucket into the bottling bucket and then bottled. I have really been able to taste a change from the first couple of days after bottling, as there is lees of a, "wine," taste, but there is still that cider-like flavor. I guess that is what it will be in the final stage, no metter how much longer I wait, correct?

If it's drinkable, go for it. I have found 2 weeks bottle to be the minimum. But for most - and admittedly I have not done an IPA - the longer in the bottle for conditioning the better.

I did my first IPA at begin of Nov and bottled it just 12 days ago. After 9 days it was carbed and drinkable. Today at day 12 and only 2.5 hrs in fridge it's awesome.
Lot of people say IPAs u want them early so you really get the hop taste. I'd concur on this first batch.
I have impressed myself.

I actually began with a blonde ale, then added 5 lbs of Asian Pears in the 2nd fermentation. When I bottled, I strained the 2nd fermentation bucket into the bottling bucket and then bottled. I have really been able to taste a change from the first couple of days after bottling, as there is lees of a, "wine," taste, but there is still that cider-like flavor. I guess that is what it will be in the final stage, no metter how much longer I wait, correct?

This cider like flavor you mention could be acetaldehyde, one of the products yeast make on the way from sugar to alcohol. Given time the yeast will break this compound down into more alcohol so that flavor may go away in time. It's the flavor I associate with "green beer".

GASoline71 said:
So you dumped the brew in the secondary through a strainer into the bottling bucket? Or did you use an auto-siphon/racking cane?

Gary

Just poured it through the strainer, into the secondary fermentation bucket, with the pears already added.

Back