Does this look okay? (green patch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beginnermt

Reaction score
Hi, just started making my own kombucha a couple of months ago.

I'm wondering if my latest batch is safe to drink, as a green-ish patch has appeared on the latest scoby...

Apart from that it looks and smells fine!

9tlouv.jpg

2a5yzif.jpg

What do you think?

Ew that's odd, I don't like the green color at all. I haven't seen that before. You can get a professional opinion if you post the photo on facebook in the KombuchaKamp group, Hannah will evaluate the photo for you.

Ew that's odd, I don't like the green color at all. I haven't seen that before. You can get a professional opinion if you post the photo on facebook in the KombuchaKamp group, Hannah will evaluate the photo for you.

Thank you very much for your reply. Will do!

That looks like mold. Smell it. If it is mold, you should detect it by a musty odor. It's probably safest to dispose of the batch and start again. I hope you have a healthy SCOBY on reserve.

Looks like it's inside the scoby rather than mold growing on the outside. Mine has a color similar.. but when I turn the scoby over.. it's really a brown color... I believe from the yeast. I've seen pictures on other sites that are kombucha related showing similar and they all say it looks good.

Back