Propane burner: Which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a propane burner to do 5-gallon AG boils in a keggle and I'm just curious if anyone has any input as to which one to get. I'm kind of on a budget, so I just ran an Amazon search and found the three cheapest ones:

$35 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002913MI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$49 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$50 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Does anyone use, or have any experience with any of these burners? If so, which one is the best bang for the buck? I'd be really interested to get some feedback. Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the SP10 and love it. I do think they've changed the product since I bought it several years ago (saw that in the comments). If its indeed what I bought (I have what the main pic shows) then I recommend it. :) Good luck!

I've got the SP10 and love it. I do think they've changed the product since I bought it several years ago (saw that in the comments). If its indeed what I bought (I have what the main pic shows) then I recommend it. :) Good luck!

I also have the SP10 and do enjoy it. The only drawback is the "high temp" paint burns right off so if you don't burn it or sand it off before you use it there will be little burnt paint flakes all over the place which is annoying. I do five gallon batches and it has no problems getting ~ 7 gallons to rolling boil and is not a propane hog. Happy Brewing!

I've never timed it but I'd say from sparge temps to boiling takes about 2 beers...that might equate to 15 or so minutes.

I havent used it yet but the sq14 just arrived on Thursday. It really is as sturdy as others have said. Tomorrow morning cant come soon enough.

I've used the SQ14 for about 30 batches and it's a great product. However, having recently switched to 10 gallon batches, I definitely suggest getting the BG14 instead. It's a bit more, but the thing is roughly 3 times the size as the SQ14 and has a much higher output. Even if you don't plan on doing 10 gallon batches any time soon, I would suggest investing the little bit of extra money now. The BG14 is going to get 5 gallon batches to a rolling boil extremely fast.

Here's one with a stand: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here's one without: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a turkey fryer burner for my HLT and it is relatively slow. I have the SP-10 for my BK and I really have to watch that I don't boil over 7 gallons in a 10 gallon pot.

I would guess that it takes less than 15 minutes for 150° to boiling. Caught it just in time Thursday afternoon!

I am considering replacing the turkey fryer with another SP-10. I also get 6 or 7 batches from a Blue Rhino tank. I'm going to get my own tank soon so that I get 20 lbs instead of 14 and it will even cost less.

kh54s10, what do you mean 20 lbs instead of 14? Does Blue Rhino not fill the tanks completely?

Thirding or whatever the BG14-based burners.

Many stations will refill the Blue Rhino ripoff tanks.

I used my new sq14 for the first time last weekend and it had no problem boiling 14 gallons with the regulator below full blast.

It also supported the weight of a very full keggle with no issues.

If your on a budget I get the 10 Qt deep fryers from Wally World for about 35 bucks and use them. The timer is a PITA. but there is a thread to eliminate them and you get a nice 10 Qt alli pot for free. I bought the 30 Qt turkey fryer and then I got the 10 Qt deep fryer and all together I only spent about 75 bucks for both. They are a little slower, but it is a hobby, so I am not in a big hurry anyway. Just some food for thought.
Wheelchair Bob

My brew partner and I both have the sq-14. I've had mine for 9 years and highly recommend it. We start with 16 gallons pre-boil and have no problem getting it up to a boil. I've never timed it but I'd guess less than 30 minutes post sparge to boiling.

Plus if you spring for the bayou classic ss turkey fryer kit. You can fry turkeys and do large seafood boils etc.

I'd stopped looking for burners as I'd decided that I had enough beer making equipment and not enough beer drinking people. But this thread got me thinking the $50 investment in the SQ14 would be worth it. I had originally thought too big, either the Banjo burner or the Blichmann, so this is a good size and price. It's just too hot to brew indoors.

How do people set this up so that the kettle can be emptied easily in an all gravity system? I have a concrete porch with an open fence and could probably just empty it over the side with my carboy below, but I'm open to other ideas.

Anyone able to get any propane burners cheaply up high on stands to use in a gravity system without welding anything?

The sp-10 is a great burner, your keggel will not fit on it. You gotta go take the bottom grill great out of your weber to make it fit. FYI. As others have said the paint burns off, lots of smoke. I have had my sp-10 for years and it works great.

Back