first attempt, MY own recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNOYES88

Reaction score
This is my first designed recipe without just altering a kit from Midwest or Austin Home Brew. I brewed 12 hours ago. After 7 hours after pitching yeast, the headspace in my 6.5 gallon carboy was filled and blowing out the top of the airlock. I hurried and cut a piece of tubing, and ran it into a one gallon jug half filled with a Starsan mixture. What does anyone think of this recipe? Do you think the spices and zest were in the boil too long? Or any other recommendations would be appreciated to bring out the lemon n orange flavor!

Title: CITRUS SUMMER WHEAT

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Wheat or Rye Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.069
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.78%
IBU (tinseth): 23.25
SRM (morey): 8.39

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat (48.8%)
3.3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen (26.8%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
2 lb - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (16.3%)
1 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (8.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Saaz (US) (AA 5.8) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Tettnanger (US) (AA 4.8) for 45 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Saaz (US) (AA 5.8) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
3 each - FRESH LEMON AND ORANGE ZEST, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 oz - CORIANDER, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
2 g - PARADISE SEEDS, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

1/2 - WHIRLFLOCK TAB , Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil
2 g - BIOFOAM, Type: Other, Use: Bottling

YEAST:
Wyeast - Weihenstephan Weizen 3068
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temperature: 64 F - 75 F

PRIMING:
Method: CORNSUGAR
Amount: 5 OZ

NOTES:
STEEP GRAINS 30 MINS

ZEST LAST 10 MINS WITH CORIANDER AND PARADISE SEEDS

puree remaining fruit (without pith) in blender. heat to sterilize on stove with 2 cups of water, cool, add to primary after the first 4 days of fermentation.

14 primary, 14 secondary, 21 bottled

JNOYES88 said:
This is my first designed recipe without just altering a kit from Midwest or Austin Home Brew. I brewed 12 hours ago. After 7 hours after pitching yeast, the headspace in my 6.5 gallon carboy was filled and blowing out the top of the airlock. I hurried and cut a piece of tubing, and ran it into a one gallon jug half filled with a Starsan mixture. What does anyone think of this recipe? Do you think the spices and zest were in the boil too long? Or any other recommendations would be appreciated to bring out the lemon n orange flavor!

Title: CITRUS SUMMER WHEAT

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Wheat or Rye Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.069
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.78%
IBU (tinseth): 23.25
SRM (morey): 8.39

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat (48.8%)
3.3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen (26.8%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
2 lb - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (16.3%)
1 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (8.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Saaz (US) (AA 5.8) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Tettnanger (US) (AA 4.8) for 45 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Saaz (US) (AA 5.8) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
3 each - FRESH LEMON AND ORANGE ZEST, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 oz - CORIANDER, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
2 g - PARADISE SEEDS, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

1/2 - WHIRLFLOCK TAB , Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil
2 g - BIOFOAM, Type: Other, Use: Bottling

YEAST:
Wyeast - Weihenstephan Weizen 3068
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temperature: 64 F - 75 F

PRIMING:
Method: CORNSUGAR
Amount: 5 OZ

NOTES:
STEEP GRAINS 30 MINS

ZEST LAST 10 MINS WITH CORIANDER AND PARADISE SEEDS

puree remaining fruit (without pith) in blender. heat to sterilize on stove with 2 cups of water, cool, add to primary after the first 4 days of fermentation.

14 primary, 14 secondary, 21 bottled

I like the recipe, my .02:
I would've moved the zest additions to flame out for more aroma and flavor, 1oz of coriander is a lot, it's some pretty powerful stuff and I will typically use 1 tsp/5 gal. Your amounts of citrus may be a little overpowering but you also have a lot of hop for an American wheat so that might balance it out.

Be sure to taste and sample as the progress goes and take notes so you can adjust the recipe accordingly.

Let us know how it turns out, should be a great summer brew!

I'm new to this and haven't yet dabbled with my own recipe, as much as I'd like to, but the recipe looks great and it seems like u really know ur stuff. Good luck and let us know how it works!

3 lbs is way too much crystal.

When steeping grains, you are unlikely to get more than 50% efficiency.

1 ozs of Corriander seems way too much.

Zest of 3 Lemons and Oranges seems alot.

What does this mean "puree remaining fruit (without pith) in blender. heat to sterilize on stove with 2 cups of water, cool, add to primary after the first 4 days of fermentation."

I think it will be too sweet and too busy.

Calder said:
3 lbs is way too much crystal.

When steeping grains, you are unlikely to get more than 50% efficiency.

1 ozs of Corriander seems way too much.

Zest of 3 Lemons and Oranges seems alot.

What does this mean "puree remaining fruit (without pith) in blender. heat to sterilize on stove with 2 cups of water, cool, add to primary after the first 4 days of fermentation."

I think it will be too sweet and too busy.

I think it will probably ferment out the additional sugar. I agree though that sounds like a really busy brew. Just post back when you get a taste.

i think you have a good idea on how to brew, but as others already said, you have A LOT going on in this beer.

-24% of your grain bill consists of crystal malt. a good rule of thumb is to never exceed 15% unless you want a really sweet tasting beer. considering you're using wheat as your base malt, your crystal sugars will really pop out.

-the yeast you plan on using is going to produce a lot of banana/clove flavors. i think these flavors will either overpower all your zests or it will mix with it and make it taste a little odd. if you'd rather focus on the flavors of your zests, i would suggest using a cleaner tasting yeast like US-05.

-i personally think your beer is a little big for a wheat beer. i usually shoot for an ABV between 4-5% with my wheats. that's just my opinion though.

Have to agree with most here. It will definitely make beer and maybe you will really like it. It has a heck of a lot going on. It may be perfect for you, but to me it looks like:

-9.3# is too much extract.
-2# is way too much carapils
-3# is way too much crystal
-1 oz is way too much coriander
-2 oz sounds like a lot of paradise (I don't like it so any amount would be too much for me though)
-you added your citrus too early since you have boiled off all the aromatic compounds
-you don't want to add whirlflock to wheat beers since you want the protein to stay in suspension
-yeast choice not what you would usually go with. American ale yeast or Belgian witbier yeast would probably been good choices depending on what you were going for
-Is there even more to this recipe? You mentions something about a puree but don't elaborate.

I wondered about the corriander because i read some people using in for a long time in the boil and some in for just a few mins. And as soon as I added it, you could intstatly smell that above all else. Same with the paradise seeds. I think it may have been a mistake not adding them at flame out. But there is alot of good info on here. I had no idea about the 15% of the steeping grains. The puree is just the blended up fruit remaining after zesting. Taking the peal off and just having the sweet fruit pureed n added to the primary to combat how bitter the zest and hops were gonna be and to balance aroma. When I dreamed up this experiment, I had BOLD in mind lol. Ill let you all know how it turns out and what ill change.

any opinion about adding extra water to the fruit puree to try to mellow out the brew? or not use a whole lot of orange and lemon puree n use more water?

If you intend for this to be an American-style wheat, 3068 is not the right yeast to use. It's going to give you banana and clove which isn't to style. Not that you can't do it, just making sure you are aware of what you have. I think those esters and phenols might be a bit much with all the other stuff you have going on.

Also, no need for crystal malt unless you are going for more of a dunkelweizen-style beer.

any opinion about adding extra water to the fruit puree to try to mellow out the brew? or not use a whole lot of orange and lemon puree n use more water?

I'd forget the puree. I don't know of too many if anyone who uses orange and lemon puree. More like strawberry, apricot, raspberry, etc. Toss it. Your beer should be plenty sweet with all that crystal malt.

Got it bottled yesterday. I did make an alteration to the original idea. Instead of puree of fruit, put the zest from 3 more oranges and 2 lemons in the secondary for a week. I did get a chance to try it and its gonna be pretty good. I guess wheat was the wrong word to describe the brew, it ended up a real clear copper color with great aroma and citrus flavor. Ill post again after its carbed and bottle conditioned.

Back