Hot sumertime thirst quencher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptnCully

Reaction score
So is it possible to make a nice crisp summertime ale? I'm looking for... you know the kind of ale that you drink a lot of on a hot summer day! Most of the ales that I have brewed are a little heavy and great for a cooler day but I'm looking for that "Hot day... Drink all day... thirst quencher" Without having to do a lager! Any one got any ideas??
I'd prefer to stay away from the IPA's that so many of you love cuz I'm not that crazy about your bitter beers! I've been brewing since last September and now it's time to make that HOT DAY THIRST QUENCHER!!!
Give me some ideas please. Thanx

The Captn

Cream Ales are good for what you're looking for. That's next up for me for a week at the beach in the summer. I'm also doing a Kolsch right now, and while it's the first one i've done, from what I hear they are great hot day brews also.
:mug:

Absolutely. I like to have a blonde ale on hand in the summer. I shoot for a fairly light color, neutral American yeast, and a bright but not over the top bitter. I find Amarillo is fantastic in these. I also really liked glacier and palisade. I'm not an IPA guy either. 25-30 ibus is perfect for me in these.

Here's one I really enjoyed, calculates to about 31 ibus. I think it'd be just as good a little less bitter as well.

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
9.00 lbs 77.59 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 17.24 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037
0.35 lbs 3.02 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 60 mins 1.033
0.25 lbs 2.16 % Amber Malt 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 15.74 Amarillo Gold 60 mins 9.30
0.50 ozs 7.81 Glacier 30 mins 6.00
0.50 ozs 5.71 Amarillo Gold 10 mins 9.30
0.50 ozs 2.03 Glacier 5 mins 6.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

I second the cream or blonde ale. A cream ale should be light and more dry than most other ales. I just brewed one that is perfect for those hot days. Not hoppy at all and not as much flavor as the heavy ales so they go down easy.

I happen to be an IPA guy with my chocolate brown ale coming in second. But I recently bottled an American honey wheat ale that is awesome! And I hate wheat beers! It needs some revision in the honey department, but t's been a real hit.
Next will be a pale bottled and a blonde brewed.

Kolsch +1. You will need WY2565 or WLP029. Ferment near the bottom of their range (~ 58 for WY2565 or low 60's for WLP029). Kolsch has little hop flavor, its all about a light malty taste combined with an excellent yeast flavor. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My third Kolsch is on deck.

Lots of gear ideas here! I've done a cream ale twice now and wasn't all that fond of them both were extract kits and both were kind of cloudy Although I was real green then and it could if been my process. I've never done a kolsh and don't even remember drinking any! Am I missing out on something here? I've done some blonds but they have always turned out a little heavy. I'm thinking of trying another; only this time mashing in on the low side; say 151* Will this help produce the kind of beer I'm looking for? Thanx

The Captn

CaptnCully said:
Lots of gear ideas here! I've done a cream ale twice now and wasn't all that fond of them both were extract kits and both were kind of cloudy Although I was real green then and it could if been my process. I've never done a kolsh and don't even remember drinking any! Am I missing out on something here? I've done some blonds but they have always turned out a little heavy. I'm thinking of trying another; only this time mashing in on the low side; say 151* Will this help produce the kind of beer I'm looking for? Thanx

The Captn

Yes a lower mash temp will give you a dryer/thinner beer.

You also want to ferment on the lower end of the yeast temp range to keep the esthers done

Back