Question about BIAB Cream Ale results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my first two BIAB batches today. they were both cream ales that contained some flaked corn and rice. I noticed that there were very tiny particles suspened inside my beer while it was in the bottling wand. I cannot recall seeing these before so I was wondering if I made a mistake crushing the flaked corn and rice with the rest of my grain or if these partiles are just normal for the course of doing BIAB. Any ideas of what this might have been and if it could be a problem?

I did use new paint strainer bags to hold my grain.

I bottled my first two BIAB batches today. they were both cream ales that contained some flaked corn and rice. I noticed that there were very tiny particles suspened inside my beer while it was in the bottling wand. I cannot recall seeing these before so I was wondering if I made a mistake crushing the flaked corn and rice with the rest of my grain or if these partiles are just normal for the course of doing BIAB. Any ideas of what this might have been and if it could be a problem?

I did use new paint strainer bags to hold my grain.

I get those a lot (I only have ever BIAB). You get less clear liquids in general I have found from BIAB, but the bottle conditioning phase will settle them out. They just take time to do so. On a side note, I started adding Irish moss pellets to my brews at the last hop addition - WOW, what an improvement.

I made an APA (pale ale) and it was terribly cloudy when I bottled. I checked a bottle the next day and it was completely clear. I suspect yours will clear too.

I agree you might get more kettle trub with BIAB, but it all settles out after fermentation, and BIAB produces brilliantly clear beers just the same as any other process.

I've let my wort chill overnight in the kettle and the wort is crystal clear if you siphon to your fermenter carefully... I don't bother with it anymore, because I find it has no real effect on the finished product, except that you lose a liter or two of finished product by leaving it behind.

I think what the OP is experiencing is more driven by siphoning technique than a side effect of the BIAB process. I've had floaties in beer because I slipped the siphon a little too close to the yeast cake before, or there was still some suspended krausen particles that got sucked up. The good thing is that it will all settle out after some time in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back