What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I tweaked my recipe for a Caldera IPA Clone based on the results of the blind side-by-side from last night. Working on getting the BrewTarget numbers dialed in so I can publish it in the recipe section to await further tweaking. I wish my pallette was sufficiently developed to provide accurate tasting notes and comparisons.

Oh, and I collected empty bombers for cleaning and bottling of my porter next week.

Got all my equip. Ready for a brew day tomorrow. Soaking in star San. Can never be to careful with sterilization.

Made sure my yeast was happy... in fact they were! 3 days and fermentation is complete!

Drank a couple of freshly-carbed Amarillo IPAs and a bomber of my buddy's Big Booty Black IPA. Good stuff. Researched a couple of IIPA recipes and took some notes on a possible brewing business venture. drunk.

It was yesterday but I went to the LHBS and got yeast, a gallon jug so I can make bigger starters, and bottle caps. Then went to the beer/wine store & picked up a bunch of goodies: Bell's Porter, Brooklyn Monster Barleywine, Firestone Walker Union Jack, and a New Belgium Fresh Hop IPA from their Lips of Faith series. Then stopped by one of the local brewpubs to meet a friend and have a few pints. It was a good day.

Cynmar order arrived today and I made a starter for my Trappist batch this weekend. Yeast pack has an older date on it so better to see it working its magic in a starter before pitching it than pitching weak yeast and hoping.

Drank a bunch (my own Bohonkus Brown, FW Porter, Lagunitas Sucks!, Racer 5, and Alaskan Amber), gonna drink some more (Sequoia Brewing Co.)!!!

I woke up this morning with wood. Wood that I bought at Home Depot last night. So I used it to build a shelf in my fermentation closet. I got most of my beer related stuff (kegs, fermenters, some bottles) out of the second shower. The second shower is a perfect spot for carbing, since there's no heat, but it's in the loft, so it stays around 70 this time of year. When the kids and wife go to bed, I plan on dry hopping my Simcoe IPA and kegging a scotch oaked strong scotch ale. Also might try cleaning up the inside of my fermentation chamber.

Took gravity reading on my Hopslam clone.....1.010...sweet! Now I can't wait to dry hop this bad boy. Also sipping a homebrewed rye stout while perusing HBT. Nice way to end the week!

Drilled a hole in my new 62 qt kettle and installed a weldless ball valve. Tested for leaks and fixed it up good and tight.

Neat thread. I just sat down here on HBT and see this thread. I'm in the process of cleaning a keg and my lines/faucet. Then I'm going to rack my a pale ale into it.

Does anybody think it would be a problem to harvest the yeast from a pale ale that has been sitting in the primary since November 25? The last three weeks have been clearing in my chest freezer in the low 30s.

Dan said:
Neat thread. I just sat down here on HBT and see this thread. I'm in the process of cleaning a keg and my lines/faucet. Then I'm going to rack my a pale ale into it.

Does anybody think it would be a problem to harvest the yeast from a pale ale that has been sitting in the primary since November 25? The last three weeks have been clearing in my chest freezer in the low 30s.

I'd do it... without a worry ;)

I started my last step in my 1056 (wash yeast) starter for tomorrows brew session.
Went to the local dairy and bought eight 5 gallon buckets for $1.50 each.
Stopped at the dollar store and got 4 containers to store my specialty grains.

Tomorrow I hope to get two 15 gallon SS pots. Craigslist buy.

Today bought the pots. They were only 10 gallon pots but really heavy duty. Paid $100 for both sweet!

Milled my grain but put off my brew til Tuesday.

Today I am drinking a homebrew that somehow managed to last in my house over 2 months in the bottle! Oldest homebrew I have had to date! I thought I put aside a 12 pack pack so you would imagine my surprise when I went into my basement and found a second one!

Cranked down the thermometer in my fermentation fridge to cold crash my brown ale. I will be bottling 5 gallons and kegging 5 gallons on Sunday, so I'll report that then!

Made my first ever starter for a IIPA I'll be brewing this Sunday. Bought an Erlenmeyer flask for said starter. It is cooling as I type this.

This is a thread intended for anyone that does anything related to home brewing. You can post any thing you want as long as it was what you did today. What I did was make a Stout. If you made a chiller, brew pot, ordered hops, ordered grain, brewed a beer, made your first beer, whatever... what did you do for beer today?

I now work at a LHBS, does that count?

A guy came in yesterday asking questions about an off flavor that he seems to be getting on a recurring basis. He's a new brewer, and brewed about 6 batches so far, so he thought he might have an infection. I said I can't diagnose a flavor without tasting it, and suggested that he bring some in for me to sample. Today, he did. I think I've steered him on the right track, and he'll be bringing some of his next batch in to make sure.

BTW, it wasn't infected, and it was a decent beer. I think it was a fermenting issue.

Pre-ordered centennial, goldings, and cascade rhizomes. Went to the LHBS at lunch and picked up a pack of 1028 for tomorrow's dry stout. Made starter with it this evening.

Stepped up a starter of 1450, washed a few bottles, and punched in the recipe for Monday so I can try out the various brewing apps I put on my new phone. I also let the wife try samples of the Summer Shandy clone she requested before I bottle them this weekend. I split a 6 gallon batch between 2 3gallon fermenters and a one gallon jug with 1056, American Wheat 1010, and WLP 380 Hef IV. Not surprisingly she preferred 1056 the best, I like Hef IV personally, 1010 is still kicking up sulfur but shows promise. I added Lemonade Kool Aid to each once fermentation was over to get the Summer Shandy effect, worked pretty well.

Found a HBS with simcoe in stock. Drove 23.5 miles and bought 3 lbs. Got home &brewed 5gal APA,5gal extract mystery,& 2.5gal coffee stout. During APA mash bottled a cream ale.

'Cashed in 21 lbs of pennies a few days ago for credit at Amazon. Today I ordered three brewing books;
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition
Radical Brewing: Recipes
Brewing Better Beer

My library grows. Hope my beers get better now LOL :)

I ordered 10 hop rhizomes, finished estimates and planning of the growing area. Now time to go drink with the in-laws!

Received a pound of hops, added 4 oz simcoe to my simcoe ipa, washed out a 3 gallon glass wine bottle and arranged my brew closet. Oh, and bought soil for my hop garden. Gonna turn some leaves in and make it into a compost heap till spring

Kegged 5 gallons of Belgian Golden Strong, kegged 5 gallons of cider, transferred 10 gallons of IPA to secondary.

Transferd Irish red, wheat to secondary. Added coffee extract into Stout and Transferd. Moped entire brewery cleaned tons of stuff. Went to brew store and picked up a grain bill for a Flanders Red and brewed it oganized my beer room and checked air lock levels

I helped a friend do his first brew. In reality, I did the brew, but he bought the materials and brought it over to my house to brew. He's going to ferment at home in one of my carboys, and then will likely bring it back to my house to bottle.

Decided to put off the brew day to tomorrow. I did run to the craft store though and pickup fabric and whatnot to make some BIAB bags. If they come out ok I'll start a thread on the project... I have my doubts though as I am not exactly Martha Stewart. :p

Brewed up a 5 gal batch of Breakfast Stout, my first batch using my well water, which is rather alkaline and rather hard. Should be just what the doctor ordered for this one.

Thats awesome. I'm an ortho. tech. and work in a busy orthopaedic office. If I started putting my brewing stuff in our autoclave I can only imagine the stern talking to I'd get.

Yeah, I work at an orthopedic surgery center too, but fortunately the people at work like my beer so they don't mind. They even put it in peel packs it for me!

I drank a about a gallon of brew, and now I'm getting ready for a brew day tomorrow. Also, I fed my dog some spent grain dog treats!

Back