how to reuse yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portlandbeergeek

Reaction score
I've just racked an ale into the secondary and want to reuse my yeast. Do i have to do anything to the yeast in order to reuse it? I've got about 3/4 cup of what looks and smells very yeasty, no trub or other materials appear to be there. Can i just pitch this into my next batch that should be ready for yeast in about two hours?
The original yeast was a german ale/ kolsh liquid yeast. I've got a packet of dried yeast just in case, but hopefully i'll hear back before i pitch. Grain's just going up to 150 right now.....

thanks!
PBG

No. You will eventually have a bunch of trub in there. Also depending on alot of things after the yeast has been reused some it will start the mutate, I think its like 7-10 generations or something. If you look in Yeast Washing on the forums here you will be able to use your yeast alot more

No, not ever again, but depending on your brewing preferences maybe one vial of yeast (each style/type) per year...:D

TIP: Whenever I go to the LHBS I always ask if they have any EXPIRED yeast they want to GIVE AWAY...sometimes they give me 1 or 2.

I've used 2 year old EXPIRED yeast without any problems...just make sure you make a starter.

i'll have to read up on yeast washing. I pitched what i scraped out, mixed with a bit of wort so as not to shock the yeast, and 10 hours later the airlock is bubbling like mad. I think i'll reuse the yeast in a loaf of bread and see how that turns out.
thanks again for the help!

Can someone post a picture of what the yeast looks like after its out of the primary? I want to reuse my yeast, but not sure what I'm looking for. Thanks

I have tried yeast storage in bottles with air locks on them and it works but...

I saw a thread that the person used old plastic soda containers, at first I was worried of soda tasting yeast but I had to try it out. Got lots of those things piling up at work.

You just do the yeast washing, then store them.

What I like about it is it expands nicely with the C02 - never had one burst on me. I tend to soak them in bleach, then rinse them with idorphore (SP?). When I brew, I take them out, dip them again, crack it to let out pressure and then let warm up to room temp and dip once again before pitching. Keep everything as clean as you can and you should not have a problem. Remember washed yeast only last around 2 months, after that your taking a change and should work with starters to ensure the little workers are still in shape.

Back