Brutus 20 2 Tier ReDesign

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptarts

Reaction score
Okay so I'm thinking on a new brew stand design and before I build it wanted some input. Here is a basic image
FEKPEvS.png

So with this design the MLT would basically sit on the floor, this is fine since I have a cooler. Advantages would be i don't have to pick it up and it would be easy to stir and mix. I would hook a pump directly to the outlet of the MLT and pump to the top of the BK this will be used for re circulation and just moving wort before boil. During re circulation wort / sparge water would gravity feed into the MLT. After the boil the pot is at enough height to gravity into a fermenter. With this setup the height never gets more than a single tier but you save on a pump. All the other two tier brutus 20 builds ive seen look like this:

Old Common Design
gaSiI2s.png

where the mash tun is at or above your height making it hard to see and stir. What do you guys think?

New Design
my5Sn9w.png

DgBRCTD.png

mjdonnelly68 said:
Of course it depends on the style of beer you'll be brewing, but I think the blazer might be too dressy.

Hahahahahaha made my day

unless you have a strong back, you're going to want to rethink that design a bit. If you have a pump and it's all the way on the ground, you will have a hard time pumping anything to the fermenters.
Mine is the middle of both those designs and actually helped with pumping... i didn't read enough and pretty much had the output right next to the inlet of the pump... = pain in the ass. i put the pump about 4" below the keggle (hard to tell in the picture) but it makes everything a breeze and you can see into the mashtun and still stir with ease.

IMG_20131003_100633_190_zps9800b57c.jpg

My boil kettle is high enough to gravity drain into the fermenter (2ft above the floor). And Like I said with the MLT basically on the floor I would have a pump to pump it up into the boil kettle. No more lifting than a single tier, actually less since the MLT is on the floor.

if you think you can pump with it all the way on the ground, more power to ya :) just lending some insight from someone that has done it before like you describe because i've had it like that, while it worked....it's a pain. even 4-6" inches up would make a world of difference.

if you think you can pump with it all the way on the ground, more power to ya :) just lending some insight from someone that has done it before like you describe because i've had it like that, while it worked....it's a pain. even 4-6" inches up would make a world of difference.

Im having trouble figuring gout what the difference is if the pump is on the ground or a few inches above it and why it would be harder one way vs the other.

Have you made any progress on this system? I've been planning a similar 220v brutus 20 style setup for mostly 5 gallon batches and the occasional 10 gallon low gravity. This is pretty much what I'm looking to do - 2 tier, single pump. I've been slowly gathering parts, hardware, etc. I'm pretty much ready to start the electric side of things and get an element and build a panel.

Back