No Carb- 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I bottle everything and this is the first time I have had any carbonation problems in the 18 batches I have made since starting this hobby.

Anyhow, I brewed an English IPA on 4/30 with an OG of 1.060 and bottled on 5/27 at an FG of 1.016 for a 5.9% ABV beer. The hydrometer sample tasted great and everything seemed to be normal, but there still isn't any carbonation outside of a very minute amount.

I carbed to style with about 4.25 oz of corn sugar for a 5 gal batch (it may have actually been a little less than 5 after the trub loss, but I can't remember exactly how many bottles I got out of it). There was nothing different about this batch; no changes made during the process. There was no soap residue and the beer still tastes great, it is just flat.

I am thinking of giving each bottle a gentle shake and just forgetting about it until later this summer or should I just uncap them all and drop some carb tabs in to salvage it sooner? Any advice is appreciated.......

The yeast is probably slow. Shaking them will help getting them back in suspension and meet the sugar, which is good.

If you added your priming sugar, as you said, do not add more sugar/carb tablets. It is not the lack of sugar, it's the yeast that needs time. If they are getting carbonated that is a good sign. Just give it more time. What is the temperature of the area you store them in, maybe they are just a tad too cold.

It is at the same temp as all my other conditioning beers: 69F-73F. That is about what my house stays at. I condition all my beer in the same room upstairs in SterLite containers. Like I said, nothing has changed about the process.

I will just shake 'em up and put them on the backburner. There is a tiny little hiss when I open one, so there is some carbonation with just a little fizz. It is just strange that this batch is so stubborn when I have never had an issue before. IPAs usually carb up pretty fast too.

Did you heavily cold crash this IPA before you bottled? That could slow the yeast count and activity down quite a bit. If you hear the tiny hiss you know it IS carbonating, just need a bit more patience. I know that's hard. Or drink a couple slightly flat.

Yeast activity is exponential so once they get going they get faster. An additional 2 weeks from now can make a big, big difference.

Did you heavily cold crash this IPA before you bottled? That could slow the yeast count and activity down quite a bit. If you hear the tiny hiss you know it IS carbonating, just need a bit more patience. I know that's hard. Or drink a couple slightly flat.

Yeast activity is exponential so once they get going they get faster. An additional 2 weeks from now can make a big, big difference.

I did cold crash it for a good week, but I let it warm up for about 2 days in my kitchen at room temp before bottling. I guess that is the difference as that was the first beer I truly cold crashed in my temp controlled cooler. I didn't even think of that being the issue, but will it always be a problem with cold crashed beers? I plan on cold crashing everything that is low in SRM from now on, so should I expect longer conditioning time for all those beers?

Back