Pin Lick or Ball Lock.......?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6357

Reaction score
Is one better than other? I'm looking at getting some used ball lock kegs my LBS has on special when you buy 3 or 4.

Most people seem to have ball locks as they were more readily available and they have a smaller footprint in a keezer. You cant go wrong with either, but i would recommend sticking to one type or the other just from a "spare parts" perspective. I like the smaller diameter ball lock, but pin lock folks like the fact that you can't mistakenly put the wrong connector on the wrong post.

Also refurbished pin locks are generally cheaper. Simple supply and demand. There were more pin lock kegs from Coke available.

I believe more people go with ball locks because they are slightly taller and skinnier, making them easier to fit into a freezer or mini fridge ( why I chose ball lock) 8.5"x25" for ball lock vs 9"x23" for pin lock. Pin locks have a twisting connection with I believe 3 threads, where as the ball lock has the same adaption mechanism as air hose quik disconnects. There are several threads on this, I would measure what you intend to put them in before purchase

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/pin-lock-versus-ball-lock-164859/

Only tip I'd make for ease of equipment is to stick to one style. They have different connections. Though they can convert certain pins to ball lock.

Traditionally, ball locks have a manual pressure relief in the lid making it easier to purge the keg of O2. Pin locks typically have a mechanical relief making purging more difficult but not impossible.

"Do you prefer a pin lick or a ball lock?", imagine what a non-brewer would think overhearing such a question.... :drunk:

I use pin locks, cheaper and easier to find in good condition.

ThatGeekGuy said:
"Do you prefer a pin lick or a ball lock?", imagine what a non-brewer would think overhearing such a question.... :drunk:

Yeah, atleast he didn't ask do you prefer pin lick or ball lick. That could be awkward. :p

I am just now about to keg two batches of beer for the first time and I went with ball locks. Mainly because the first keg I ended up with in a trade is ball lock and I wanted to keep everything the same so the next one I bought I stayed with ball lock. As everyone has mentioned, there's pros and cons to both. I'm not sure if one is vastly superior to the other.

Latest posts

Back