carbonation sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
how much corn sugar should i add to a five gallon batch?? Been putting sugar in the bottle and decided that takes way too long would just like to dump the sugar in the bottling bucket and bottle my beers.

you need to make a priming solution.Bring 1cup of water and 5oz corn sugar(about 3/4 cup) to boil. Add that to you bottling bucket and rack on top pf it. I gently stir some say not to so that part is up to you.

How much you need depends on what style of beer and how many units of carbonation you want.

I use the calculator on Beersmith and usually round up a little because I like the fizz.

Agreed, it depends on the style. The rough estimate for 3/4 cup of dextrose per cup of water to make a simple syrup is usually sufficient for a lot of ale-type beers. It also depends on the type of sugar you're using. Table sugar would do better at one full cup. Add the simple syrup to your bottling bucket before you rack your beer to it and bottle as normal.

Also, remember that for good carbonation, you'll need to let the bottles condition for about three weeks in a room temperature spot. It also helps to let your bottles chill in the fridge a full 48 hours before drinking them to allow CO2 to be re-absorbed back into solution before drinking.

Patience is what's required. :)

Or use this priming calculator; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html I boil 2C of water for a few minutes,winding up with about 1.5C. Stir in weighed amount of sugar,stiring to dissolve. I cover it & let it cool down a bit before adding to swirling beer (a few inches) in the bottling bucket. 3-4 weeks in bottles at 70F,then at least 5-7 days fridge time to settle out any chill haze & get co2 into solution.

Or use this priming calculator; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html I boil 2C of water for a few minutes,winding up with about 1.5C. Stir in weighed amount of sugar,stiring to dissolve. I cover it & let it cool down a bit before adding to swirling beer (a few inches) in the bottling bucket. 3-4 weeks in bottles at 70F,then at least 5-7 days fridge time to settle out any chill haze & get co2 into solution.

What he said. I asked the same question pretty much a few mo. Ago. Now I use table sugar to prime along with the calc. Hoppy brewing! Wow, that was awful even if I do say so myself.

Back