Quarter Keg for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillbeer

Reaction score
I'm new and don't have anything yet. I was planning on picking up a couple plastic carboys and bottling them in corrnies.

I do have an empty quarter keg. Can I cut the top off of it and use that to cook with? I'm pretty good with metal so this would not be a problem. Would I need to fab a lid or is that not needed?

- Destin

I am wondering the same thing. I jut got two short quarter kegs today from a guy at work. Wonder if it's worth doing anything with them.

Check out the closed system fermentation discussion. 1/4 barrel is probably a little small for brewing in but wouldn't be bad for fermenting 5-6 gallons in.

I'm thinking about making a conical out of mine. I work in a sheet metal shop so it shouldn't be too tough. I'll make a cone and maybe cut a hole to use a corny keg lid on top

I'm thinking about making a conical out of mine. I work in a sheet metal shop so it shouldn't be too tough. I'll make a cone and maybe cut a hole to use a corny keg lid on top

How will you make a sanitary weld inside with no access to weld from inside, or to grid the inside if welding from the outside?

DevilsCreekBrewing said:
How will you make a sanitary weld inside with no access to weld from inside, or to grid the inside if welding from the outside?

Yeah I was thinking about that. I might have to make a different kind of lid maybe so I'm able to weld and grind from the inside. Which a bigger lid would be nicer anyways. The only problem is i don't know what kind of gasket to get for it

To answer the OPs question about cooking in a quarter keg. My first brew kettle was a tall and skinny quarter keg with the top cut out. It worked well for 5 gallon batches with a propane camp burner. I had a drain valve and thermometer installed in it. Its now part of my keg washing setup.

As a boil kettle you might out grow it.

Gwitz that sounds interesting. Mind explaining keg washing setup?

Ya it didnt take long for me to outgrow it, so in retrospect i wouldnt advocate putting much work into a quarter keg.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

IMG_3368.jpg

I may have to take my 1/4 keg back from the dog. It is the water bowl right now he drinks about half of it a day.

They make great fermentors. I have two I use to ferment 6 gallons in. #11 bung plug and aiirlock is all you need.

Haha.. Steve I was thinking about the 1/4 barrel you were trying to give away when I posted. Glad you found this thread. Sounds like you might have a new keg washing station!

I have been looking for a quarter keg to ferment in for a while. you should not cut it up for boiling, but use it as a fermentor.

Back