German Pilsner malt 'fog' in finished beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DryHoppinMad

Reaction score
I recently finished off a keg of Stella Artois clone that had a certain fog and character to it that puzzles me. I've had it happen before in a Helles and Kolsch. Got to scratchin my chin, checked all three recipes and confirmed that all three used a base malt of German Pilsner. Seemed too much to be just coincidence. I have brewed several other lagers, including an American light, several Pre-Prohibitions, NB's World Wide Lager, etc. with great success. None of these had the 'fog'. Not only that, but the finished beers using this malt were not nearly as distinct as they should be, all were rather flat and bland in flavor, tasted almost identical. It may be a very fine chill haze, but much finer than what I've seen in any other beer. So I wonder, is there some technique or special treatment this malt needs that's different from the rest? I conducted a diacetyl rest on the 2 lagers, protein rest ~122. Traditional beta-alpha-mashout with the Helles and single infusion @149 with the Stella. I attribute it to the malt, but not sure why. I use a chiller, but it is not quite as efficient as I'd like, chills to upper 70's in 25-30 minutes. Does GPM benefit more so than other malts from a very rapid chill/break? Thanks!:mug:

Protein rest was 20-25 minutes. And yes, I do get a lot of hot break. Maybe I just need to make sure I do a more extensive whirlpool and leave a little more behind, or slightly longer protein rest, or combine ice bath with chiller to drop it quicker....all three just to be sure:D I am certain it's linked to the malt though--60-70 AG batches, 3 with German Pilsner for a base, only those 3 brews with this issue.

Back