Well, that sucked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckshot

Reaction score
While moving my carboys around to prepare for kegging, I somehow managed to pour the water from my blowoff tube overflow growler back into the carboy. I may have destroyed my beer. Or, may have added a secret ingredient that I'll never be able to reproduce. Well, that sucked.

Was it Sanitizer or just water? This is why I use at least starsan in my blowoffs and airlocks. I like to use vodka when I can and have extra around.

Tap water that had a blowoff tube in it for about 3 weeks.

i had one that sucked back when i was cold crashing " i know stupid" I had recently changed out the starsan blow off water, i kept that beer it was water downed but was ok... i made a kolsch and i made the same mistake i didn't change the water out it sucked it in, i dumped it.... its your call

Well, dump it if you must, but I'd also suggest since it sounds like you're kegging it, carb it up and slam it all down quickly (good occasion to have friends over and mow through pint after pint) so that if there IS an infection it doesn't have any time to really take hold. It's also quite possible that it'll be fine. Point is, I wouldn't dump it until you absolutely have to.

How in the world did you accidently "pour" water from a growler into a carboy? Seems like a challenging task while simply moving a carboy around. Knocking it over and shattering it on the floor I can see. Just curious.

Well, dump it if you must, but I'd also suggest since it sounds like you're kegging it, carb it up and slam it all down quickly (good occasion to have friends over and mow through pint after pint) so that if there IS an infection it doesn't have any time to really take hold. It's also quite possible that it'll be fine. Point is, I wouldn't dump it until you absolutely have to.

Yes - keg killing party FTMFW!!!

How in the world did you accidently "pour" water from a growler into a carboy? Seems like a challenging task while simply moving a carboy around. Knocking it over and shattering it on the floor I can see. Just curious.

carboy with blow off tube in his growler he crated a siphon easy enough to do trust me :)

How did I do it? My best guess, temp changes caused some of the water to get sucked into the tube. I raised the growler and tube to hand off, must have raised it high enough it started to siphon out of the growler. I'm not dumping unless it gets furry. Just needed to vent my frustration.

I had something similar happen during an extended power outage last month. My house went from 63F to 34F for about 6 days and the blow off tubes acted like a straw when the temp changed so significantly. I had a starsan solution in my growler and I was nervous as heck I had ruined this beer.
So, I kegged it up last week and there are no off aromas (awesome!) and I have since consumed a few pints and my vision and my stomach are still intact.
With that said, I'd give it a whirl and try drinking the thing. It may be slightly off, but it should still be better then the BMC you can supplement it with from the corner store.
Good luck!

Considered installing a one way/non-return valve on your blow off tube? Seems like it might be good insurance.

A siphon makes more sense than pouring. I guess I can see how that could happen, although I've never had enough liquid in a blow off tube to start a siphon if I tried.

Considered installing a one way/non-return valve on your blow off tube? Seems like it might be good insurance.

A check valve is a little over kill for a blow off tube don't you think? If it's that much of a problem, you can simply switch to an air lock when things start to calm down.

Back