High FG, do anything or let it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
Hey all, I don't normally deal with what appears to be a stuck ferment, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I brewed NB's Caribou Slobber extract kit OG 1.052 and pitched a measured amount of Windsor slurry from a previous brown ale, hit the wort with pure o2 for 1 minute as usual, and fermentation kicked off in 5 hours or so.

Checked gravity 3 days in found krausen dropped completely and found a 1.024 FG. I swirled the bucket and used a spoon to resuspend yeast - 1.5 weeks later - FG 1.024....... I expect windsor to attenuate low, and there is a lot of amber lme and dme in the recipe, so.... Done, or repitch something else? I have fresh packs of notty, so4, and so5 ready.

Also, I'll be waiting the requisite 3 weeks before I do anything, but I'm not seeing any gravity changes since about the 3rd day.

I don't think it's ready to bottle at 1024 you risk bottle bombs. If I were in your situation I would pitch us05, a clean yeast as to not disturb the flavored you wanted from the Windsor.

Appreciate the input. I keg so bombs aren't an issue, but I'm starting to think of pitching something clean as well.

Yea I agree with the previous responses. I just finished an Imperial Pale Ale that had an FG of 1.020 after three weeks. But considering it's hasn't been nearly that long, I would just wait.

Let's say I did add the us05, should I return the bucket to the ferm fridge and set the temp or will room temp of 72 where it is now work?

72 F will be fine now that most of the fermentables are already gone.

I just had a batch of CS finish at 1.020. The Danstar website says the yeast "demonstrates moderate attenuation which will leave a relatively high gravity". I bottled mine and am not worrying about bottle bombs.

I brewed that same thing Not too long ago and I also had the same thing. I did 2 things first I pitched the us05 and then let it sit for about 2 weeks and it turned out fine. 2nd I built a stir plate bought a yeast starter kit and ALWAYS do yeast starters now. I brewed it again using a starter and no problems. Good luck you will really like that beer....

How's it taste? A 1.024 caribou slobber actually sounds good to me. If it's not too sweet (and remember carbonation provides some acid bite to counteract some sweetness), I'd keg that baby!

You didn't mention what temp it fermented at but you might find that letting the temps climb a few degrees will kick the yeast back into action. I had a IIPA that fermented for four weeks on WLP001 at 62 degrees--it was at 1.020 when I added dry hops. I let the temp climb to 68 and it dropped down to 1.011 in the next week before kegging. YMMV but either way I suspect it'll be good enough to drink either way :)

I fermented at 65 via a fridge and let the temp ramp up on day 2 to 66-67 or so, and then it just stopped.... Dead in its tracks... I think I'll pull a sample again amid see if the flat uncarbed sample tastes good and if it does, I'm kegging it. There is something about fixing a fermented beer that I'm just getting hung up on. I'll report back either way.

Edited: I tasted it.... Just a bit too sweet for me, even with considering the carbonic acid bite from co2. I think I'm going to sprinkle a pack of us05 over the top ( at room temp of 72) and see what happens..l either way, it gets kegged after that.

Latest posts

Back