Just wondering(Smoked Oysters)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance71975

Reaction score
I love smoked Oysters, i was wondering if anyone here has tried smoking fresh oysters? If so what wood did you use? How did they come out?

Never smoked'm before but we have cooked them over a wood coals. We just tossed them on to the grill for a while. Everybody enjoyed them.

Are you wanting to cook them or keep them raw in the shell with a smokey flavor?
I have done both, to keep them raw keep your temp as low as possible and place the oysters still in a half shell on a sheet tray covered with ice. I did that for about 45 mins and was constantly opening the lid to ensure they did not cook.
If you want to cook em, that's easy should only take around 20-30 mins at 250.
I used apple and they were tasty.:cross:

Are you wanting to cook them or keep them raw in the shell with a smokey flavor?
I have done both, to keep them raw keep your temp as low as possible and place the oysters still in a half shell on a sheet tray covered with ice. I did that for about 45 mins and was constantly opening the lid to ensure they did not cook.
If you want to cook em, that's easy should only take around 20-30 mins at 250.
I used apple and they were tasty.:cross:

Im looking for like the smoked oysters you get in a can. Fully cooked by smoking not grilling. i have had them grilled they were awesome, but i just love them smoked.

I have done this in a cheap vertical smoker. Its easy. Charcoal fire and wood chunks on first level. Half full Water pan on second level . Place lower grill grate directly on water pan, Load in bushel of oysters in the shell. You can fill it all the way to the top Let the fire get hotter than you would smoking meat so it will produce more steam. Steam smoke until the oysters begin to open up a little.

I have done them on both my gas grill and charcoal smoker. After I shuck them, I leave them on the half shell. On the gas grill, I indirect heat and use a smoke box with wood chips. I've used hickory, mesquite, apple, and our local madrona chips. My wife makes the marinade from asian type spices. Oysters never last more than a few days at my house since we live less than a mile from some really good oyster beeches. :rockin:

I have done them on both my gas grill and charcoal smoker. After I shuck them, I leave them on the half shell. On the gas grill, I indirect heat and use a smoke box with wood chips. I've used hickory, mesquite, apple, and our local madrona chips. My wife makes the marinade from asian type spices. Oysters never last more than a few days at my house since we live less than a mile from some really good oyster beeches. :rockin:

Awesome! thanks man!

Back