Lost instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Someguyinahat

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm fairly new at brewing and I bought an oak barrel IPA kit from brewcraft USA. It comes with an oak spiral that you're supposed to boil and add to the fermenting brew at some point. Problem is... I lost the instructions! Can anyone help me out? Or am I doomed to drink an oakless IPA?

How long has it been fermenting? When I did my bourbon barrel porter I added the oak to secondary for a few weeks. It's an inexact science.

I'd probably toss the beer into secondary, and add the oak 2 weeks before you are ready to bottle/keg.

In my experience you will want to take a small sample after 3 days of the oak in secondary, then 1 time every 24 hours later until you like the way it tastes. Since this is an IPA and you will not want to age this forever, you do not want to over oak it.

:tank:

Back