Buying in Bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
How many of you buy your ingredients in bulk amount so you can brew when the moment strikes you?

I have been thinking about getting bulk DME as well as ordering up on some of the specialty grains and hops I frequently use and I have a few generic questions:

1) how long do uncracked grains last? I am thinking about going through and seeing which grains I plan to use in the next several months and just stocking up, will this work?

2) same question regarding hops and, to a lesser extent, yeast.

3) I tend to use crystal 55 and 60 frequently, can i switch to just using 55 and adjust recipes accordingly or will it make a big difference?

4) What are the main concerns around buying bulk DME? Will my Escali scale be able to handle measuring the quantities?

Basically I want to be able to put in large orders every few months that take into account what I think I might want to brew but be flexible for random flights of fancy. (This has all come about b/c I can't get to my LHBS on account of snow so I can't brew this weekend :mad: ).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

1. Grain - a year in a cool, dry place
2. Hops - a year in a fridge, a couple months otherwise. Varies a lot from type to type. I buy once or twice a year.
Dried yeast - ditto
3. no real difference
4. DME cakes easily, keep it dry.

How long will liquid yeast (like Wyeast Activator) last in the fridge? I remember there is a date on the pack, but I can't remember what it was for...

Grains and dry extract will last longer if you can prevent air from getting to it. If ou have a foodsaver or other vacuum sealer this can as much as double your storage time, depending on storage conditions, efficiency of your vacuum sealer and the age/handling of the product before you receive it.

Plus a foodsaver is a great way to have loads of chili, spaghetti and other soups/sauces on hand in the freezer. Just yesterday I had spaghetti that I made over a year ago-- tasted like the day I made it.

Back