Fantasy football anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want to bet local micros instead of homebrew? Berkshire Brewing Company makes some very good brews, only in bombers, though.

Winner gets two bombers (or four 12oz bottles), loser gets one (or 2-12oz)?

In addition, loser changes their sig and avatar for one week, following the same parameters established in the "The Wager" thread?

Are we on? Straight-up, no lines (I'm not sure the Pats will be favored, this will be a close game).

the_bird said:
Do you want to bet local micros instead of homebrew? Berkshire Brewing Company makes some very good brews, only in bombers, though.

Winner gets two bombers (or four 12oz bottles), loser gets one (or 2-12oz)?

In addition, loser changes their sig and avatar for one week, following the same parameters established in the "The Wager" thread?

Are we on? Straight-up, no lines (I'm not sure the Pats will be favored, this will be a close game).

Works for me, but I'd like one of your IPAs

the_bird said:
I only have a couple left, but I'll reserve one for you.

So, officially, WE ARE ON!

Yeppers! Not sure what you'd like from the Chicagoland area, but I'll find something. My LHBS is also a Micro. They might have something you'd like.

the_bird said:
Same terms?

You bet! Are you agreeing to the 3 points?

Also, how did I win that game? I thought my game was tied and Tiki got 1 point?

the_bird said:
Straight-up, I can't keep track of points. If it's good enough for rdwj, it should be good enough for you... :D

what's a matter? a little nervous about being the favorite? I'm already breaking my "only suckers bet on the NFL" rule and you want to go straight up? Fine. Your beer will taste all the better once the Bears whoop your boys Sunday.

Who's the favorite again? I don't even know. The Pats aren't favored, are they?

When it's betting for money, points matter. Betting for pride - all that matters is the "W".

Pats are giving 3 points. And what the hell are you talkin' about? We are betting for money! Homebrew is liquid gold!!!!!!

Hey Bird - Stopped by my LHBS today and picked up a couple big bottles (not sure the exact size) of their Double IPA and Imperial Stout. I'm going to test them out during the holiday and see how they are. With any luck, you'll only be getting one or the other =)

Crap.

I have to decide by 12:30 if Marquis Colston will play this weekend, as mny backup TE plays for Miami.

I also have to decide today if Matt Hasselback will, in fact, start for Seatle this weekend, as my backup is Jon Kitna, also playing today.

I'd be really stressed if I hadn't already clinched a playoff berth!

Current scores:

Really Rottens 68
Dude's Team Sucks 34

Town Drunks 28
more_Bruschi 23

Scrotum Puppies II 52
Loose Cannons 36

NY Athletic Jews 45
D'Bricks 26

NY Goombahs 68
Drunken Sailors 57

Desert Gnats 34
win14thegipper 52

Angry Pirates 73
Skull Splitters 57

the_bird said:
Jesus, this is the first thread I've read. Been in the car all day, no football contact at all.

****!

It'll be all over Sportscenter tonight. Seau's forearm popped like a twig. Definite broken arm. It was bent at a almost 45 deg angle. :eek:

the_bird said:
Scores? I've got Hasselback left tomorrow night, the Town Drunks are all done. I think I'm behind right now, but not sure by how much.
You're only down two-33-31. You're in good shape.

EDIT: if youd've played Kitna you'd have it all sewn up by now:D

Sweet. I knew this was going to be a tough week for me, a couple tough matchups, Colston and Kevin Jones out with injuries, but I was hopeful NE's defense would come through for me. Thanks!

Bird,

PM me your address so I can send your blood-money, I mean, beer.

Don't forget to change your avatar! And sig!

Something sufficiently subservent. Like "Boy, even with only one arm, Junior Seau could kick Brian Urlaucher's ass!"

Frickin false start penalty went and gave the Gnats an extra point on that FG.:mad: I won't rest easy till this one's done. Too easy for Vinatieri to kick a boatload of FGs and sink me yet tonight:(

the_bird said:
Don't forget to change your avatar! And sig!

Something sufficiently subservent. Like "Boy, even with only one arm, Junior Seau could kick Brian Urlaucher's ass!"

Let me know what I need to do - avatar and address

Surprised no one has really discussed the Bears Pats game yet.

Someone needs to tell Urlacher that his jock strap is laying on the 32 yard line-after Brady faked him into the abyss last night.

That was a great game.

I missed it completely. In the car all day, and when we got home, didn't really have a chance to sit down and relax. A completely football-free day for me, which means I'll be jonesing by tonight and watch every snap of a Monday night game that really doesn't interest me...

Sounds like it was an ugly game, anyway. But hey, win's a win, and there's HOMEBREW on the way!

the_bird said:
I missed it completely. In the car all day, and when we got home, didn't really have a chance to sit down and relax. A completely football-free day for me, which means I'll be jonesing by tonight and watch every snap of a Monday night game that really doesn't interest me...

Sounds like it was an ugly game, anyway. But hey, win's a win, and there's HOMEBREW on the way!

It really wasn't an ugly game, and the score was misleading. NE had at least 3 turnovers in the red zone after driving easily on the Bears defense. Brady's INTs were all tipped balls.

Grossman on the other hand, is BAD. He was throwing balls right to defenders. Samuel made a good play on one of the pics but Grossman was throwing all over the field yesterday. Chicago ran the ball well though.

As I said though, the score SHOULD have been like 31-13 instead. It was that lopsided, but damn NE couldn't hold onto the ball.

ablrbrau said:
Frickin false start penalty went and gave the Gnats an extra point on that FG.:mad: I won't rest easy till this one's done. Too easy for Vinatieri to kick a boatload of FGs and sink me yet tonight:(

Eight game losing streak. I rock :rockin::eek: .

I get zero from both Rivers and Harrison.

Dude said:
Surprised no one has really discussed the Bears Pats game yet.

I'm still trying to get the image of Junior Seau's floppy broken arm out of my head. That made my balls shrivel up.

Oh yeah... a couple more comments.

(1) I hate Romo. 5 TDs for my opponent. Palmer might have matched it, but he sat the bench the last quarter due to the spanking he had delivered in the first 45 minutes of play.
(2) Grossman sucks. Totally overrated and the weakest player on the Bear's offense.
(3) Bengals vs. Browns: 30-0. I'm still hoping for a wildcard, but it sucks that we've only got a couple days to prepare for the Thursday night match-up against the Ravens.

Unless I see an actual decapitation, Joe Theismann's broken leg will rank as the #1 grossest injury I have ever seen.
Edit: I've seen some pretty gross hockey injuries: The goalie whose jugular vein was severed by a skate, and the defenceman whose rectum was impaled by the back of the (old style) goal

Walker-san said:
I'm still trying to get the image of Junior Seau's floppy broken arm out of my head. That made my balls shrivel up.

These Thursday games are friggin' killer for fantasy purposes. I had to guess on Thursday whether Hasselback and Colston would be playing this weekend, as my backups were both playing Thursday games. Eh, as long as Matty H gets me three points tonight, I'll be in sole possession of first place.

And damn, I feel like a tool for not getting Chris Henry in the starting lineup.

the_bird said:
These Thursday games are friggin' killer for fantasy purposes. I had to guess on Thursday whether Hasselback and Colston would be playing this weekend, as my backups were both playing Thursday games. Eh, as long as Matty H gets me three points tonight, I'll be in sole possession of first place.

And damn, I feel like a tool for not getting Chris Henry in the starting lineup.

I hope so, cuz that'd bump me up to fourth. Thes "on the bubble" stuff sux.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Unless I see an actual decapitation, Joe Theismann's broken leg will rank as the #1 grossest injury I have ever seen.

Yeah, I saw that one too as a wee lad, but I have blocked it out now.

Dude said:
You guys don't remember Tim Krumrie in the (1981?) Super Bowl against the Niners? That was an ugly injury.

Yeah I remember that one, too, but that one is way back in 3rd place.

Joe's leg was worse than Junior's arm was worse than Tim's leg according to my scrotumshrinkometer.

Walker-san said:
Yeah I remember that one, too, but that one is way back in 3rd place.

Joe's leg was worse than Junior's arm was worse than Tim's leg according to my scrotumshrinkometer.

No way....seeing Krumrie's leg flopping was WAY worse IMHO.

I didn't see Seau's flopping. It was just bent really weird. You knew it wasn't good.

Theesman was the worst of those 3, but the worst I've ever seen is Jason Kendall's. He was running to first base and stepped on the bag wrong and broke the leg right above the ankle. He was essentially running for a few steps on the stub of his leg bone as his ankle was turned 90 degrees. That was disgusting. On my scrotumshinkometer, that was pegged into the abyss. My nuts were in my throat on that one.

Dude said:
I didn't see Seau's flopping. It was just bent really weird. You knew it wasn't good.

I watched it over and over on Tivo (my son was fascinated.)

At first it just looked like his wrist had gone limp and was wobbling around, but after a 2nd or 3rd viewing, you could see that the 'limp' part was actually about 3 inches north of his wrist. His arm was bent and wobbling between his wrist and elbow. It was ****ing gross.

Walker-san said:
I watched it over and over on Tivo (my son was fascinated.)

At first it just looked like his wrist had gone limp and was wobbling around, but after a 2nd or 3rd viewing, you could see that the 'limp' part was actually about 3 inches north of his wrist. His arm was bent and wobbling between his wrist and elbow. It was ****ing gross.

eww!! Didn't notice that - was only passively watching and saw him get hurt, but didn't know it was so serious.

Back