secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can go to secondary when fermentation has completely finished. before that and you could end up stalling fermentation...and if you don't deal with a stuck fermentation properly and bottle anyways, you get bottle bombs.

or just give it 3 weeks in the primary and bottle/keg (at least for most beers)

Plenty of people believe you don't need a secondary. If I'm not brewing something that calls for an addition at secondarying, I don't use one. The reason is that your bottles/keg basically ARE a secondary. Skipping the secondarying also has the advantage of decreasing the probability of infections.

The best time is when it's reached it's FG and has been stable for a few days. I like to wait 2 weeks myself, but I still check to be sure that FG has been reached before I move the beer.

True, a secondary isn't necessary for most styles but I prefer to use one because it frees up my primary vessels, and I also dry hop more than half of my beers. I also get a really clear end product.

Old Rule: 1-2-3 for primary-secondary-bottle.

My Rule 3-0-2. I don't do secondaries anymore unless lagering for extended periods, during which I would like to remove that big trub. BTW, I don't always wait the 2 weeks for bottle. I am very impatient with my creations.

Latest posts

Back