4 Plate Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here is the build so far...

This is the arrangement, I only have 1L Erlenmeyer flasks so... this box that was scrap at my place of employ... IS Perfect! it fits for of them on top.
IMG_02741.JPG

IMG_02811.JPG

With Fans mounted...

IMG_0280.JPG

Power Distribution (Since been changed, pictures on the way)

IMG_02751.JPG

Front panel, I tend to freehand most of my holes...

IMG_0278.JPG

This is why...
IMG_0276.JPG

Stupid Best Buy didn't have anymore of the solid black... Ihazcoolestfan in stir plate ev4r!!!!

Comments Questions?
yes, in the front panel i have not drilled holes for power switches because 2 of the Rheo's are switching (as in the click then come on..)
and i just have not figured out where I want to put the two that i do want to switch on off...

they arent flat heads.. i was thinking more like a rubber mat on top... thanks!

You should have some kind of rotating base for the entire thing for easy access to all flasks. Plus its that much more spinning action*

*Staring at spinning action may lead to heart, lung, or liver failure.

I should say at this point that 12vdc fans that run a .18amp (180milliamps) are not powerful enough to make a full blown vortex inside the flask, is it important that they do???

the amperage shouldn't be a factor. I have a 12VDC fan pulling about .1 amps that pulls a vortex to the bottom of my flask with a 5VDC power supply...

how big is it and what's the size of your stir bar? Acton? I live in Portsmouth (nh)

I use a 80MM fan with a 1" stir bar. The specific stir plate I'm talking about is part of my "cheap and easy stir plate" build thread in my signature...

right, that's where i got the idea for the washers but it seems like when i have the stir bar near the magnet on the fan, it pulls so much that it loses power/doesnt spin as fast... hmm... wonder if i added more spacers....

I would definitely try moving the fans away from the casing.

Also, what are you using for an enclosure? If that enclosure isn't aluminum, you might be slowing down your fan from the magnetic attraction between your magnet and your enclosure...

The Enclosure is aluminum, the plate will spin the bar but i think because they are so close together they are creating more resistance then is nesc. and slowing the fan down...

I would agree. How many magnets are you using per fan? I find messing around with magnet strength is more effective than messing with my voltage.
Good luck with your build!!

one magnet... magnets hae polarity... one end cannot be the same as the other... so only need one, only use one. :)

ah yes, very true, nope :) only have magnet from old HD... but thank you for your help :-D

A little bit of tinkering with magnet sizes and fan placement and you'll figure it out... It took me some time to figure out the placement for my fans. I found during this tinkering that regardless of my power supply size, by changing the strength of my magnet I could control my stir bar much more efficiently, and get a better vortex.

Plastic enclosures are best. What happens with metal (even aluminum) is that the spinning magnetic field sets up what are called eddy-currents in the metal plate. These currents make their own magnetic field (even though aluminum isn't magnetic) and push against the magnet's field. It's kinda crazy, but it's physics.

I'm working on building a box out of lexan, I think that I will have better success that way and will be able to finish the project with the money i've already spent... ;) Thanks for all your help guys! oh and happy 100 GN ;)

Back