Cool Cucumber Salsa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
It's not very spicy, so Pico de Gallo might be a better description, but it's a salsa.

You'll need
1 medium sized onion
3 cucumbers
2ish cloves garlic
3 tomatoes
1 "bunch" cilantro
2-4 jalepenos
I packet ranch dressing mix
a few tablespoons white/rice wine vinegar

You'll also need sharp knives, and a classy, expensive cutting board such as mine.
DSCF4237.jpg

Chop up your onion, smash the garlic, then chop that as well
DSCF4238.jpg

Peel, quarter, de-seed and chop up your cucumber
DSCF4239.jpg

DSCF4240.jpg

More below....

But the mix is so bland!
DSCF4243.jpg

Add some color!
Thoroughly rinse your cilantro, and turn this:
DSCF4246.jpg

Into this:
DSCF4247.jpg

Chop up your jalepenos and tomatoes, and forget to take pictures of your tomatoes.
DSCF4248.jpg

more...

Mix, add your packet of ranch, sprinkle some vinegar over it, mix again, and you're golden!
DSCF4251.jpg

DSCF4252.jpg

One thing that I haven't been able to eliminate with this recipe is the amount of liquid that comes out of the cucumber. I've even tried salting the chopped cucumber first, and then rinsing it no worky. I've sort of given up, the liquid that comes off makes a killer marinade for chicken breasts.

I make a salad with equal parts cucumber and tomato and some chopped basil leaves. To dress it, take the juice of one lime, add 2 tsp of sugar and then add in fish sauce to taste. I like it about 1:1. Mix and toss. Garnish with crushed peanuts. Cool and refreshing.

Back