AustinHomebrew.com Site Certificate (EDIT: Certificate is fine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Gators

Reaction score
So I went to place an order tonight with AHB and my browser warned me about a possibility that my information could get out. Something about not recognizing the certificate of protection. Has anyone seen this before? I was planning on just calling the store tomorrow when they open to place the order. Just kind of spooked me when I read the pop-up. :(

Sounds like standard Windows BS...I use government websites all the time and still get this warning. I think you should be ok. If you feel better calling them, then do so. Might get your order out a little quicker.

:off:
comj49 - Hail To The Victors!!!!!

and two for one:

Go Gators - Jan 1, 2008:ban:

What kind of Car does Jim Tressel drive:

Lloyd Carr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6-1 baby!!! Hope your new coach fairs better, NOT!!!

So anyways, back on topic, take the pissing contest somewhere else....:D
(wow, look at ME bringing a conversation back on topic;) )

I have bought a large amount through Austin Homebrew and have never had a problem, in fact, I am about to order a March pump through them here in the next day or so.

Forrest, the owner of Austin Homebrew frequents this board, so I am sure if we mention his name (Forrest) and Austin Homebrew enough times in this thread, I am sure Forrest will come by and answer all of your questions.

Oh yeah, one more plug, Forrest and Austin Homebrew are AWESOME!:D

Go Gators said:
So I went to place an order tonight with AHB and my browser warned me about a possibility that my information could get out. Something about not recognizing the certificate of protection. Has anyone seen this before? I was planning on just calling the store tomorrow when they open to place the order. Just kind of spooked me when I read the pop-up. :(

If you go and click the VeriSign logo on the bottom left of the page it says the site is secure and the certificate is good till April of 2010:

It doesn't get much more secure that that. :mug:

I don't mean to knock AHB. I am sure it is a safe and secure site and company. Just got me worried. Guess I am an overly paranoid person by nature...:eek:

EDIT: I did click on that however, and this was the message I got:

"Site Certificate Not Found

We cannot find the Site Certificate you are looking for! "

Placed an order this morning - Verisign Certificate is good. There's another one (Securmetrics, I think) that says it has issues. Could just be a problem with the link. As long as the Verisign cert is good, I'm happy.

Go Gators said:
I don't mean to knock AHB. I am sure it is a safe and secure site and company. Just got me worried. Guess I am an overly paranoid person by nature...:eek:

EDIT: I did click on that however, and this was the message I got:

"Site Certificate Not Found

We cannot find the Site Certificate you are looking for! "

If you are getting an error about the cert, and nobody else is, there is a chance (small but real) that there is some funny business going on. Trojans/Malware/etc. all man-in-the-middle SSL sites these days to intercept your name/address/account number. Most malware is installed through browser exploits these days, and that means Internet Explorer.

Look into Firefox for general surfing, there are a lot of neat plugins that help avoid those problems.

As far as checking to see if that is actually the case, there are a few things you can do... Make sure your AV is up to date. Look into at least one anti-malware program, and verify you are using a real DNS server. You can double check easily.

Check what things like your bank and austinhomebrew.com resolve to using your configured DNS server and then from a real DNS server. From a command prompt, do the following (yours may be C:\> insted of #).

# nslookup
> austinhomebrew.com
Server: 68.87.73.242
Address: 68.87.73.242#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: austinhomebrew.com
Address: 67.192.119.153

> server 4.2.2.1
Default server: 4.2.2.1
Address: 4.2.2.1#53
> austinhomebrew.com
Server: 4.2.2.1
Address: 4.2.2.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: austinhomebrew.com
Address: 67.192.119.153
>

If the two do NOT match, something is funny. Move all of your data, and reinstall.

Before anyone gets too alarmed, the site is secure. We just migrated the website to a new server and there is a bad link on the Security Metrics button. When you check out you will notice that the website switches to https... instead of http... This means that it is secure. Our Verisign security is in place and working fine. I just need to fix the link for the other button.

Forrest

I am using Firefox. I only use Firefox. I don't know how to get the nslookup to work, but whatever I am just going to call the store.

Austinhomebrew said:
Before anyone gets too alarmed, the site is secure. We just migrated the website to a new server and there is a bad link on the Security Metrics button. When you check out you will notice that the website switches to https... instead of http... This means that it is secure. Our Verisign security is in place and working fine. I just need to fix the link for the other button.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest, I knew you would show up:D

Stuff like this I just double check the webpage addy. Normally it would have to be a larger site (like google, yahoo, msn, ebay, ect) to be attacked. No offense there Forrest, but I'm gonna say his online business is pennies compared to the ones above. Plus his explanation would hold up because if he did just move to a new server with different protocol usage then Verisign would have to re check his site.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you can do your order online, and then CALL with your credit card. That's one of the options when you check out. I've never done that, but I saw it as an option. That way, you can still check and double check and send your order, but not feel that your information isn't secure.

hey comj49,

1992 called, they want there phrase back. Seriously,,,,,,................NOT???

Only in Ohio, I swear.

GO BLUE!!!

Go Gators said:
So I went to place an order tonight with AHB and my browser warned me about a possibility that my information could get out. Something about not recognizing the certificate of protection. Has anyone seen this before?

Yes. It's actually very common. Forrest has explained this is not the case, but it can be as simple as the certificate says http://www.austinhomebrew.com and you went to http://austinhomebrew.com

Yeah, I was a little buzzed when i wrote that!! I will take any punishment you want to give out regarding that phrase.

Let me ask a question, where did Terrell Pryor end up signing. Wasn't he supposed to be the saviour for new coach rod, and his new spread offense. Where did he sign again????? And lets not forget the pure dominance "The" OSU has had recently, so you may want to lay off a little!!

I can tell you that the fans here didn't want Pryor and thats the truth. Yes, you've had a RECENT edge, but all time it's our dominance. We have to let you win once in a while or the rivalry dies. Thats what happened with Michigan State, when you beat em all the time it's not a rivalry. How come a team in our own conference and in our own backyard(talking to you MSU), is not our biggest rival? We had to look outside the state for a worthy rivalry. Enter OSU.

BTW- Pryor may want to keep his head on a swivel.

Go Gators said:
I am using Firefox. I only use Firefox. I don't know how to get the nslookup to work, but whatever I am just going to call the store.

If you are using most of the Microsoft Windows products, you can hold down the "flying windows" key, then press r. This should open up a run window. Type in cmd, then press enter. This should open up a command prompt window. Then you can do the nslookup. If your keyboard does not have a flying windows key, and you are not using Vista, you can click on start, run, then type in cmd, as above. Otherwise, use the help function & search for "command prompt". Let me know if you are using a Linux variant, or other operating system. Or, RDWHAHB. The other posts seemed to solve your original questions.
:mug:

Mods - The issue on my website has been resolved. The site was always secure, it was a bad link on a button that showed up after a migration to a new server.

Can we close the thread so people will stop thinking there is a problem?

Forrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back